What's new

Jean de Florette - which is the best version? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The R1 sucks, but I think there is an anamorphic R2 that is supposed to be good, but does it have English subtitles?

I'd also be interested in Manon des Sources.

Thanks in advance.

Thane

Stunt Coordinator
I have both from the UK and they are anamorphic w/ subtitles. I'm very pleased with them! I don't know how they compare to the U.S. nonanamorphic versions as I haven't seen those.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
It's done! I ordered my first set of R2 DVDs (Benson's World):
Richard III (Olivier)
Jean De Florette
Manon Des Sources
Peter's Friends
Cyrano De Bergerac
Scarlet Pimpernel, The (1982)
Dad`s Army - The Very Best Of Dad`s Army
I don't have a player yet, but I'll start playing them on one of my PC's (both have Matrox Dual Head cards).
When possible, I'll give you my impression of the differences between JdF and MdS: R1 versus R2!
Cees

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
It's done! I ordered my first set of R2 DVDs (Benson's World):

Cyrano De Bergerac
Is that the Gerard Depardieu starring version? I was under the (mis?)impression that the UK DVD was Pan & Scan? Is it in fact anamorphic widescreen? (The French DVD is anamorphic but has no subtitles).

Thanks,

Ted

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Ted,

Yes, that's the Rappeneau version (starring Dépardieu). And no, you're right again: it's "4:3". But Benson's didn't sell the French version, and I needed a subtitled version in my house anyway.

I will in the end be buying an anamorphic version, but I'm still deciding where (I may just have found a good e-tailer, but I'm not sure yet). This French version doesn't seem to have a pristine transfer, though (too much compression?).

Cees

Jay Blair

Second Unit
Jean De Florette

Manon Des Sources

I had the R1 versions of both and have replaced them with the British R2 versions. Haven't watched Jean De Florette all the way through yet for the R2 version, but I can confirm that the R2 versions have English subtitles and are anamorphic widescreen, and much superior to the R1 DVDs as far as I've watched. If you have a player that does proper PAL to NTSC conversion, these two discs are highly recommended. Also picked mine up from Besonsworld (they get virtually all my R2 DVD orders from England--they are the only vendor over there that has yet to screw up an order).

Is there an Aussie version of Florette & Manon planned?
checking on michaelDVD's site, which is normally quite complete, it appears it is not due for R4 release. Sadly the R2 of these that I have and are both quite excellent, were not mastered R2/4, surely this would net more profits than making them R2 only.

regards

Stephen

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
HA!
Received my package today. Luck is with the dumb and innocent :)...
Cyrano de Bergerac, the Rappeneau version I ordered, is by Tartan Video and according to the case: Widescreen and OAR! French with English subtitles. And it's region code "0"!! (Don't forget it's PAL.)
I haven't opened it yet, but I'll let you know if anything unusual comes up.
BTW Richard III appears to be 4:3, and I'm still not fully convinced that's the OAR (and I cannot really trust my memory on this, I was 14 when I saw it in the cinema).
Cees

Doug Gordon

Auditioning
I received a copy of Cyrano de Bergerac (Rappeneau version) yesterday from Amazon.ca. It's region 1, ntsc, and widescreen 1.66:1 (OAR?). It has optional english subtitles. Looks pretty good.

Doug Gordon

Auditioning
Following up my own post regarding Cyrano. I realized last night as I was watching the dvd on my projector that the subtitles aren't available in 16:9 mode. They came up fine on my 4:3 television, but when I palyed it 16:9 on my projector no subs. I tried it on a couple of players and no subtitles in 16:9 mode.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks