What's new

Jean de Florette / Manon of the Spring (1 Viewer)

SteveK

Supporting Actor
I just finished watching "Manon of the Spring". Despite the lack of similarity in title, "Manon of the Spring" is actually Part 2 of "Jean de Florette". Both movies are beautifully filmed and tell a very good story. Definitely watch Jean de Florette before watching Manon, as the story is set up in the first part. I don't want to reveal the story, as the joy in these movies comes from watching the story unfold.

No, the movies aren't anamorphic and they don't feature the latest gee whiz soundtrack and special effects, but they are definitely worth watching if you like movies that tell a story rather than rely on explosions and gimmicks to entertain you. They don't even have any extra features other than a trailer. But the story they tell will keep you involved.

I rented both of these from Netflix, so add them to your queue and give them a try if you don't want to buy them. If you like simple quiet movies that tell a good story, I think you'll enjoy these two as much as I did. But remember...watch Jean de Florette first or you won't understand the background of the activities in Manon of the Spring.

Enjoy!

Steve K.

Guy_K

Second Unit
I agree! Two wonderful films. If only I could find the DVDs :angry:
Jean de Florette is one film that never fails to make me thirsty when I watch it.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Have you looked in stores or on-line? I have seen both these disks in a Canadian store recently.

I remember the movies as being very good, from VHS versions.

SteveK

Supporting Actor
Guy- I don't know where Netflix obtained them, but I rented both movies from Netflix, so they are obviously available somewhere.

I forgot to mention in my original post that the movies are French with optional subtitles. Fortunately, the subtitles are very easy to read, unlike some that I've seen.

I'm glad to see that a few others have seen these fine films

Steve K.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks