What's new

Jean-Claude Van Johnson (Amazon Prime) (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Jean-Claude Van Damme has a new pilot up today on Amazon Prime (directed by Peter Atencio of Key & Peele), and it's absolutely fucking insane:

"No one's going to die, except for all the people I'm going to kill."

https://www.amazon.com/Jean-Claude-Van-Johnson/dp/B01J77U1LY/

The premise:

JEAN-CLAUDE VAN JOHNSON stars global martial arts & film sensation Jean-Claude Van Damme playing "Jean-Claude Van Damme," a global martial arts & film sensation, also operating under the simple alias of "Johnson" as the world's best undercover private contractor. Retired for years, a chance encounter with a lost love brings him back to the game. This time, he'll be deadlier than ever. Probably.

The shot of him reaching to the far right for the Pop-Tarts, and then deciding on the identical box next to it. That's the kinds of details that I feel will heighten this show. The coolest thing is, I feel like this would be like if John Wick was very bored on a Sunday afternoon.

Those photos of dogs and cats (apparently, not his pets) on the credenza, and him using a metal hand-held grabber to get the newspaper are just plain weird and great.

I particularly like the totally-pristine matching sink next to his:

original.jpg

This was such a sensational pilot, that was able to cram such into such a short period of time, while also having a great rewatchability factor to it, with hysterical jokes peppered all over the place. Just a few standouts:
  • "Hey, Philippe."
  • Timecop vs. Looper
  • Max Landis on the cover of Variety.
  • The big-budget Hollywood action-movie "reimagining" of Anne of Green Gables.
  • The Huckleberry Finn director's previous working-gig.
I'd love to see this get picked up by another streaming company, should Amazon be foolish and pass on it.
Don't let that happen, people!

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Watched it the other day and it sure is one of the oddest and funniest things I've seen in awhile.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Apparently the orignal script for the pilot made jokes about Max Landis every other page; it seems they've largely been cut out of the final aired version of the episode.

Surprised they backed down on the Landis-trolling -- I'm sure he could run crying to daddy, but I figured Ridley Scott being the producer would guarantee them safety to shit on just about anyone.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I'm glad to hear this has been picked up! This was my favorite of the Amazon pilots.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
New update from director Peter Atencio:

Atencio1_zpszkdtfrdl.jpg

Plus, he even offered the new series-logo:

upload_2017-2-13_17-14-48.png

It's not the JCVD we deserve, but it's the JCVD we need right now. The only bad thing about this is that we won't see Filip again.

(Or will we...??)

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Finally! It's been so long since I've watched the pilot I'll surely have to watch it again before the rest late this year.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

Looks fun. Never heard about this. Is this new footage or all from the year old pilot?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks