JBL's new B&W N801 fighter (and only $13,500.00).

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LanceJ, Oct 27, 2002.

1. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

They're on my list to audition.

I really like how they decided to use a horn tweeter and midrange. I also like how they didn't paint the drivers anything and are designing for acoustic purposes above appearance.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
  4. Andrew Santos

Andrew Santos Stunt Coordinator

wouldn't they be more a lot more expensive than the n801s? i think these are 13500 each.

5. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

Yep...too much money, IMO.
    You could buy a pair of Signature 800s, Signature 805s, stands, and some nice speaker wire for the same price[​IMG]
    Jeremy

6. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

IMO the very best loadspeaker I ever owned (and I have owned many) was a pair of JBL-L112s, mirror imaged 12 inch 3 ways. This was in the early 80s, I drove them with a 90 watt JVC integrated amp. CDs were a twinkle in someones eye but I sold them to my friend who still owns and uses them today (with new surrond rubber of course)
    Maybe if I heard them today it would ruin the memory and I wouldn't want to do that. Since I had the L-150As, the L-212s with the 12 inch sub(75 watt amp) finally a set of L-250s moved away left it all behind , many fond memories.
    Please excuse the journey, I couldn't help it. . .

7. RajeeK

RajeeK Second Unit

Weight: 198.4 lb (90kg) per speaker
    Yikes, those guys are back breakers.

8. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

35hz at -10db is pretty pitiful for a 15" woofer. And horns scare me. I think I'll stick to Revel, thank you.

9. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

JBL probably has tuned the woofer/cabinet to keep up (i.e. output) with the very efficient midrange & tweeter drivers. Since the woofer is not also horn-loaded a trade-off must be performed: deep bass OR amount of bass? So......bass extension is sacrificed to increase efficiency.
    Klipsch RF-7's (two 10" woofers & one mid/high horn)--to ME--sound pretty thin. They get very loud with little power but despite having two large bass drivers seem to have little deep bass. In this same room (Tweeter) some skinny Boston Acoustics (one 8" woofer) had more deep bass for the same volume level setting.
    Producing deep bass AND lots of this kind of bass is an expensive proposition. I'm kind of surprized myself at the K2's lower bass limit, but I'll bet JBL figured with subwoofers being so accepted now, if a person wanted that last chunk of low bass below 45hz he could just add a good sub (most "average" rock music doesn't have anything below 40Hz anyway). Knowing JBL these horn equipped models are probably VERY revealing but still-smooth sounding speakers. Personally speaking, I find N801s to be kind of dull sounding, major power sponges and weirdly styled to boot. I'd rather have the K2s. What can I say, I'm biased: I grew up with a neighbor owning four Century L100's hooked up to a gigantic Sansui quadraphonic receiver. What an awesome sounding system!
    A great site for classic JBLs: http://www.audioheritage.org/html/profiles/jbl/l100.htm
    LJ