JBL's N38 Decision

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Thomas&CJ, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Thomas&CJ

Thomas&CJ Agent

Hello I'm trying to decide on these JBL N38's they really seem like a nice speaker. I heard some in Best Buy the other day and after a little research found them on the web for a considerable saving. The only thing on the ones I heard the piano seemed a little harsh wondering if it was the room the cheap wire or the Sony receiver they were hooked up to and not the sonics of the speaker. I currently have some Yamaha NS 100XT's which I really like but it just seems like the bass is lacking although I just love the midrange on them. Plan on mateing them up to a Denon 3803 which should be arriving shortly. Looking forward to your comments. Thanks

Tom j.

2. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

3. Thomas&CJ

Thomas&CJ Agent

Quote..When I had my JBL NSP1's in my Main HT/family room (now @ my vacation house), the mid's were outstanding and the Grand Piano acoustic sound Bob James, Dave Grusin, Joe Sample & David Benoit Music CD's were as impressive as my personal 6' Yamaha Grand Piano!!!

Now that's impressive, and you've never heard any edginess or the slightest harshness from them on piano music Phil? Thanks for the post!

Tom j.

4. Phil Iturralde

5. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Thomas:

First of all, you simply can't tell how a speaker sounds from an audition at BestBuy.

Second, you'll never know if the speaker works for you unless you bring it home and audition it.

Third, I have a pair of N38IIs in my theater set-up. They sounded terrific 6 months ago when I got them, and they only sound better now. They are fantastic, underrated floor-standing speakers that have plenty of bass extension. They're great for 2-channel music or multi-channel sound.

People who tell you the S38IIs are far superior to the N38IIs (and many folks around here say that) haven't spent enough time with the N38IIs. I own both the N and S38s, and like them both very much. The S's are different, but 'better'? Not sure.

6. Thomas&CJ

Thomas&CJ Agent

Quote...First of all, you simply can't tell how a speaker sounds from an
    audition at BestBuy.

Second, you'll never know if the speaker works for you unless you bring
    it home and audition it.]

Granted Angelo but you can get a darn good idea what you like and what you don't like and for the most part I was impressed with what I heard. Phil convensed me really thinking I'm going to pickup a pair. You can find a pair of these on the internet for under 300.000!! (including shipping) If you do your homework. Thanks! to all that replied I'm new here and you guys made me feel right at home!

Tom j.

7. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

They're fine speakers, but keep in mind that "harshness" is relative. Depending on how you interpret the sound, a speaker with a perfectly accurate response could sound harsh because of room effects and your other components (namely crappy amplifiers, which the Sony might have been). Those speakers should not sound obviously harsh, maybe just a little bit on certain sounds. From what I've read the crossover's cheap and they have a little cabinet resonance, which are relatively minor problems for a speaker at that price. Nothing to worry about, but it would be nice if you could try them out at home.

8. Phil Iturralde

9. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Thomas:

I think you're making a wise purchase; they're great speakers. But we agree to disagree about auditioning speakers--what they sound like in BB, or even in a dedicated listening room at MomAndPopAudio or SwankyBoutiqueAudioShoppe, bears little resemblance to what they'll sound like in your home, with your equipment and your room characteristics. The BB stores I've been in are noisy, cavernous and cacaphonous. Not ideal to determine how anything sounds.

10. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

In addition to not giving a Best Buy audition much importance, I'd also try to recognize the significance of speaker reviews. They just all seem to be positive, and you really have to read carefully to see what's wrong with the speakers they reviewed. In addition, the subjective comments are totally detached from the measurements and seem to speak in generalities that could be true for any speaker: "Imaging was good... midrange was clear and smooth.." etc. I think comments about the sound from people who actually live with the speakers, like Phil, can help you the most.

I think the most important things you need to know are what the biggest flaws in the speakers are, so that you can decide for yourself whether you want to accept those compromises instead of different compromises. For example, I know that some people say my speakers are "bright" or "harsh" sounding... and that they're relatively inefficient. Those are flaws I seem not to notice so much, and I'd rather have these instead of, say, a very "polite" but less exciting sounding speaker.

11. Marcel_V

Marcel_V Stunt Coordinator

I put in a vote for the N38's. I got them from jandr.com a few months ago for 279/pair shipped and am very pleased.

12. Thomas&CJ

Thomas&CJ Agent

Quote...I think you're making a wise purchase; they're great speakers. But we
    agree to disagree about auditioning speakers--what they sound like in
    BB, or even in a dedicated listening room at MomAndPopAudio or
    SwankyBoutiqueAudioShoppe, bears little resemblance to what they'll sound like in
    your home, with your equipment and your room characteristics. The BB
    stores I've been in are noisy, cavernous and cacaphonous. Not ideal to
    determine how anything sounds.] Angelo.M

OK, OK, [​IMG] Well I think I just might wait now until I get the new receiver, should be here sometime this week and maybe go out to Best Buy and bring some home for a test run, I'm sure I'll be pleased but I do remember last time I really spent some big buck on some speakers ( not the X100's) it was the most difficult decision of the whole system must of gone through 4 or 5 pairs before I decided on some electrostats (actually these were two ways with a conventional 12" woofer), so I guess it really does make sense to try to audition at home a prospective pair of speakers if at all posible.

tom j.

13. Thomas&CJ

Thomas&CJ Agent

Quote...I put in a vote for the N38's. I got them from jandr.com a few months ago for 279/pair shipped and am very pleased.] Marcel_V

Say Thanks Marcel BIG [​IMG] that's a great! I found them for I believe 114.00 a piece but there was also 30.00 dollars shipping, so I guess you save a few bucks with J&R, what do you think of them musically, looking forward to your comments and observations.

Tom j.