What's new

JBL's - Here's what I want to do. Opinions? (1 Viewer)

Been giving this some thought, and thanks to those who have offered suggestions. Here's is what I'm thinking of doing for my new audio system. I want to put four JBL E10's for the side and rear surrounds, three E50's for the left and right mains and center channel, and an SVS sub. All this connected to a pioneer VSX1014. I could get an EC35 for the center, but I like the imaging from three identical speakers up front, and since the E50's come in pairs, I can use the extra as either a spare or in another room. I really don't think I need anything bigger than E50's for mains. This room is 11 x 20 feet, so it's not huge by any means, 1650 cubic feet total. I have a projection screen that is as wide as the room, so a tall speaker, like an E80 would end up being in front of the screen, so I chose an E50 because of it's horizontal configuration.

So that's the plan, please comment good or bad or any suggestions, I'd appreciate any and all comments. Just understand the speakers will be JBL regardless due to price, value, style, sound and I've had them in the past and was able to drive the heck out of them without any problems.

david*mt

Second Unit
I have an EC35, and two pairs of E50s and couldn't be happier. I think you will like the JBLs, but I have to recommend you buy an EC35 rather than use an E50 as your center. It's much better to have a true center channel.

Elliott_P

Agent
I have a similar setup with a vsx1014, E30's for mains, EC35 and E10's for surrounds. Using an SVS sub. Sounds really nice and didn't break the bank. I'm planning at some point to move the mains to the surrounds. Use the surrounds for rears and add either E90's or E100's into the main position.

I've never heard the E50's but have been really pleased with the sound of the 30's. My previous setup was all Klipsch Heresy and while the Northridge don't sound anything like the Klipschs, they have a nice sound all their own that never fails to impress visitors.

Yeah, I still may go with an EC35. I wouldn't mind more opinions on this. Some say go with a speaker designed as a center, while others say the soundfield from three identical speakers up front sounds better. I doubt I'd notice a difference either way, but if anyone has any opinions one way or another, please let me know.

EricCrane

Agent
Here's what I would consider:

1. If moving into a bigger room in the future I would go with maybe e10s in the front and for 2 of the rears and and ec35 for the center. Then I would have some off brand cheap speakers to fill in the rear.

Then when you move into a bigger room I would look at some e60s or better for the front l/r and move your e10s to the back.

2. If you're gonna stay in the same room I see nothing wrong with your initial plan. I don't know if center channel designed speakers are any better then a book shelf used for the same purpose.

You have the luxury to go small because you'll have an a$$ kicking sub.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

All the JBL E-Series speakers you're using are timbre-(voice)-matched, so any combination is good/great!!!

NOTE: The E50's is designed after JBL LSR32's ...

... and it's not uncommon to use all LSR32's for their 5.1/6.1 locations for 100% seamless 360-degree surround sound. Having three in front sound great!

Phil

I don't plan on moving this theater to a different room. I built it specifically as a theater, so all the wiring is in place within the walls, etc.

JerryMa

Stunt Coordinator
I would get a dedicated center, the EC35 or 25. I have the latter, with E50s, and am very happy.

Note that the E50s are not small. While they are as wide as either the 35 or 25 center when placed horizontally, they are also heavier, taller, and, I believe, deeper. So if you're going to use an E50 as a center, be sure to have adequate space on, above, or under your TV to accommodate placement.

Not to mention storage space for the spare, especially if you're going to keep it in the box!:D

Fred_Krampits

Stunt Coordinator
Chris:

The MCACC on the Pioneer VSX1014 is going to calibrate all the speakers for you, so I would not be hesitant at all using the EC35 for the center. Plus if you buy the E50s, you'll be stuck with a extra speaker.

I accidentally reset my VSX-55TXi back to it's defaults when I was connecting up my power controller. Before I realized that had happened when I played my first DVD my E100s overpowered the EC35. As soon as I ran the calibration again everything was back to normal and sounded great!

I have all E50s for my surrounds and chose the big E100s as my mains since I have a lot of stereo material to play music wise. With MCACC on the Pioneer you'll enjoy your setup no matter what mix of E series you choose.

I would also recommend the EC35 as the center. It matches perfectly with the E50's and looks much better as a center. I have 6 E50's and the EC35 as the center and the sound is unbelievable? You won't be sorry!

PeterK

Supporting Actor
If you are worried about looks then go with the Ec35 but if you really want to have perfectly matched accross the front the go for it. I would personnaly go for E50s all the way including centre. but then you do have that left over one to deal with. It will sound great either way. ;)

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
The EC35 center is a great center but it isn't a "perfect" match for the E50's. The only perfect match is another E50.

Personally, I would rather have E50's all the way around. Better bass and will handle slightly more power. That's not knocking the EC35 either-in my opinion the best center for the price out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks