JBLe250P sub owners... question for you

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Andrew s wells, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells Second Unit

I am really new to the sub thing, so I need some help. What do I set the crossover frequency level for, if I have the subwoofer handling the bass? I read something about the levels if you have large or small speakers, but i assume thats if you use them to handle the bass also.. I hope I worded that ok. :b

2. Fred_Krampits

Fred_Krampits Stunt Coordinator

Andrew: How have you connected the E250P to the receiver? If you have it in the LFE postition for the receiver doing the bass management, I think the crossover doesn't do anything anyway.

The Crossover Frequency Control determines the highest frequency at which the subwoofer reproduces sounds. If your main speakers can comfortably reproduce some lowfrequency sounds, set this control to a lower frequency setting, between 50Hz and 100Hz. This will concentrate the subwoofer’s efforts on the ultradeep bass sounds required by today’s films and music. If you are using smaller bookshelf speakers that do not extend to the lower bass frequencies, set the low-pass crossover control to a higher setting, between 120Hz and 150Hz. This control is not used when the LFE switch is in the “LFE” position.

3. Pus Suchre

Pus Suchre Stunt Coordinator

Fred, for what ever reason- your explanation turned the lights on for me as far as explaining cross over. I sorta, kinda knew what it was- but now I feel in control of the concept. Sometimes it takes a few passes for me before things sink in. Anyway, thanks for a simple but useful explanation of cross over. Pus

4. Andrew s wells

Fred.. Its coming from the output of the reciever to the line level in input of the subwoofer. There are "L" AND "R" connections (I am assuming once again it doesnt matter which is used) .. but.anyhoo.. yeah the switch is set to the LFE position. Great results so far, but with me being a newbie sub-wise, I want to make sure I am getting the best I can out of it. thanks for the explanation.[​IMG]

5. David Devaux

David Devaux Agent

It doesn't matter which one you plug it into. Also, is your receiver doing the crossover? If it is, set the crossover on the sub to either the highest setting or to off. That way the reciever is in full controll.
    What speakers are you using?

6. Andrew s wells

David..I am using Yamaha NS-A200XT speakers... I have the sub handling all the bass. I heard this was the best way to have it set up, to take any strain off the main speakers. (Though they can handle quite a bit).

7. Fred_Krampits

Fred_Krampits Stunt Coordinator

Andrew:

I don't know what you are running receiver wise, I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-55TXi myself. I have all (including my E50 side and rear surrounds) set on large with my sub set on plus.

I alternate that with using THX (which turns all my speakers to small) depending on the soundtrack of the movie I am listening to. However for music, I do not use THX at all.

It's all a question of how your receiver works and whether there is ever too much bass..... [​IMG]