JBL/Yamaha HT system

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Zack Mort, May 9, 2004.

1. Zack Mort

Zack Mort Auditioning

Hello everyone,
    I'm new to the forum and I've spent the last couple of days reading the basics of HT info. Very useful stuff.

I am going to be moving into a new apt. and I want to get a new HT system. I have a budget of about $1000-$1500. I will probably use it for watching movies and for listening to music in equal proportions. I've looked at a couple of electronics stores, but the best deal I could find was the system I mentioned above. It includes the following:

--Yamaha 630W 6.1-channel home theater receiver,
    --JBL surround system with two 3-way floor speakers with dual 6" PolyPlas woofers,
    --JBL two 2-way wall-mountable bookshelf speakers with 4" PolyPlas woofers,
    --JBL 1 center-channel speaker with dual 5" PolyPlas woofer cones,
    --JBL 250W 10" front-firing subwoofer

The room it will be placed in is a med-large living room (18 1/2' X 15').

The total cost of the system above is $1300. I would appreciate any comments or advice anyone could offer about this setup.

Thanks in advance.

Zack

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Zack, the Basics area was set up as a place where newcomers to the hobby can ask essential questions about home theater ("What is a receiver?," "What is 16:9?," etc.). It is not a place for asking about specific models of speakers, receivers, etc.

Since you're asking about a potential complete system, your post has been moved to A/V Sources, which is the best "fit" for such a question.

Good luck.

3. Jonty Rees

Jonty Rees Stunt Coordinator

Jack - you sure about that? He's asking about a receiver and speakers, neither of which is a source!

Back to the topic, though. Do you have the model numbers for those speakers and receiver? My guess is you could do a little better price-wise, or maybe more quality for the same $. Hard to say without the model #s, though.