JBL with Cerwin?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Joe Maiurro, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Joe Maiurro

Joe Maiurro Stunt Coordinator

You guys think it would be alright to use a JBL N-center with Cerwin At-8 up front? Or would you not advise that. Also, when you are mixing speakers like this what spec about the speaker are you trying to match up to give you the best sound possible?

Thanks!

2. Johnny Ayala

Johnny Ayala Stunt Coordinator

Joe, I'm running Cerwin Vega RE-30's as mains,and a JBL PSW-1200 sub with a jbl center. Works great for me. I was using AT-8's as surrounds,but have since upgraded.

3. Joe Maiurro

You were using them for surround eh.. What do you think about the AT-8's? I am using them for fronts right now! Is that my problem?

4. Johnny Ayala

They should work fine. I only had them as surrounds because we watch movies with the volume turned way up, and they were a bit small for that. As you may know......the AT-8's are a little old. Have you thought about maybe upgrading to a newer Cerwin Vega? Are these speakers about the sixe you want to stay with? Also.what size and power is your sub?

5. Johnny Ayala

Joe, sorry for the mix up. I DID use a jbl center, but have since upgraded to a Cerwin Vega. Made a pretty good difference. Have you calibrated your system? Are you running Dolby Digital when watching movies? Mine sound great with DD....but a little less than great when watching regular TV...as the siganl is not as good I'm sure. Keep me posted. Good Luck [​IMG]

6. Joe Maiurro

I would have to agree with you on the Cerwins being old! [​IMG] I think I bought them about 6 or so years ago. I do have the Dolby Digital hooked up for DVD and XBOX. I find when I am watching TV or a DVD I have to turn the volume up quite abit to hear the dialog, but then when explosions or the music kicks in it is way too loud. Now, it that a problem with the highs in the Cerwins or my center speaker?So in your personal opinion do you think the AT-8's are leaving me in the dark compared to the sound quality I COULD be getting with a newer Cerwin? As for the size, I would like to get a more tower like speaker. The AT-8's are little small. I have to place them on a end table and that just won't do [​IMG] Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks for the help!

7. Johnny Ayala

Yea.....the AT-8s are a little too old for what your looking for. Try the new towers from Cerwin.they are not very bulky and sound very good. If space isnt an isue........I HIGHLY recommend you change to a larger speaker(RE-30..DX-9..VS-120) These too are a little older, but you will be very very happy with the sound.trust me. I normally would say to try a Cerwin Vega sub...but the one ive had dont sound as good once they start to heat up after heavy use, which is not a problem I'm having with my JBL PSW 1200's. The JBL center isnt really the problem, You just might want to have all the speakers that match. What are you running for surounds? Just one sub? [​IMG] btw.try turning down the mains so that when you hear explosions.they dont drown out the mains as bad. [​IMG] try www.cerwinvega.com

8. Joe Maiurro

I actually don't even have a sub.. I am renting a 1 bedroom apartment and I don't think the guy below me would enjoy the sub as much as me [​IMG] This is what my system consists of:

Hitachi 51F500
    Pioneer VSX-D509S
    Cerwin AT-8 (Main)
    Old Pioneer Center & surrounds (as old as the AT-8's!)

The pioneer center & surround speakers are pretty old and cheap. And that is why i think I am having a hard time hearing the dialog..? I don't have too much money so I think I have decided to keep the AT-8's and upgrade the center and surround speakers. What do you think?

9. Johnny Ayala

Joe, try looking in ebay for a good deal on some Cerwins. The Pioneers are probably whats causing you to think that things are a little off. I highly recommend getting a sub too, just don't crank it too much and I'm sure the guy downstairs wont mind. Keep me posted. [​IMG]

10. Joe Maiurro

Finally done! (for now anyways).. I have ditched the pioneer center & rears and have purchased a Cerwin V-5C center & Cerwin V-5M rears. I know they are not top of the line or anything but compared to my old pioneers, I am loving it! Paid $375.00 CAN. on sale for the 3 speakers at 2001 Audio Video. Rented the new Matrix DVD to test them out and wow, what a difference! I decided to stick with the Cerwins to keep all my speakers matching. Besides, I have never had any problems with my AT-8's. I am going to post some pictures of my HT in the HT CONSTRUCTION & INTERIORS forum for anyone interested.

11. Johnny Ayala

Way to go Joe!!! Some people don't like Cerwins because they dont have the same sound as some of the other brands out there, but Ive always used Cerwins and I'll never change. Can't wait to see the pictures Joe. Good Luck with your HT. Johnny

12. Joe Maiurro

Thanks for the help man! Until next time [​IMG]