1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

JBL vs. PSB

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan_C, Oct 3, 2001.

1. Dan_C

Dan_C Agent

I'm sorry if this subject has been covered previously in HT Forum; the search function has been down the last several times I have tried. I am in the market for an inexpensive set of the front 3 speakers for my HT. I was looking at the JBL S-center (center) and S38/S310 (fronts) but I have heard mixed reviews about JBL. I have heard nothing but good things about PSB (8C-center; 4T-fronts).
    Just wondered if anyone has comments about these 2 set-ups or any other good front 3 speakers in the $400-600 range. Thanks!

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Definitely PSB. (basically, I'm not a JBL fan [​IMG] ).
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)

3. David Head

David Head Second Unit

I originally was looking at the JBL S-38 and S-Center combination. I had heard the speakers in someone's home and they sounded very nice. I also auditioned speakers from B&W, Paradigm and PSB. I fell in love with the sound of the PSBs and ended up getting 3LRs, an 8C and 1Bs. The midrange sounded much more natural and they had a wider soundstage. I compared the 4Ts with the 3LRs and liked them both, but chose the 3LRs in the end. You can read my thoughts here . Go audition the PSBs and decide for yourself at your local dealer:
    Audio Spectrum
    7588 Lasater Road
    Clemmons, NC 27012
    336-778-1944
    Good luck!
    David

4. Will Binegar

Will Binegar Auditioning

I'd go with the PSB 4T and 8C.

5. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    PSB. JBL is good for the price, but having heard both, i say PSB. (i'm looking into a pair of 6T towers and a 9C btw... [​IMG])
    ------------------
    -Thomas
    My HT