JBL vs Polk

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by brandon_len, Feb 4, 2004.

1. brandon_len

brandon_len Auditioning

I was hoping someone could provide their opinion on a speaker decision. I currently have the JBL scs136 speaker system. I want to upgrade the center channel. I am on a budget and am trying to decide between two speakers. I have found an open box Polk CSi30 for $115 at CC. I am alos considering the JBL N-center for around the same price with shipping. What is your opinion on which to buy and how much of a difference do you think haveing a polk center with JBLs would there be in sound. Thanks for any opinion you have.

2. John S

John S Producer

Those two are very different timber....

What is it you do not like about the current center? This could reveal the best choice for you out of the two.

3. brandon_len

brandon_len Auditioning

It sounds flat to me. It just doesn't have the fullness that these two speakes have. Voices don't sound natural. It is hard to describe. The problem is I haven't been able to compare them side by side as I have not found a store that carries both brands ie JBL and Polk.

4. John S

John S Producer

The Polk is a little shrilly to me (not enough bass), the JBL is a little dull but fairly full sounding with decent bass responce.

5. Luitz

Luitz Stunt Coordinator

Prolly cuase its using a 3.5 inch driver.
    Find a Jbl (Just be Loud) center with 5 inch or larger in it. Timbre should be dam close

6. Luitz

Luitz Stunt Coordinator

Prolly cuase its using a 3.5 inch driver.
    Find a Jbl (Just be Loud) center with a 5 inch driver/s or larger in it. Timbre should be dam close