JBL vs. HSU

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Mirko, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Mirko

Mirko Agent

I have been seeing the JBL S-120P-II on sale on ebay for around $350. I had pretty much settled on the HSU PB2 at $499 until I saw the JBL's. There are also several PB112's for around $235.

The S-120PII sure sound good on paper. 12" speaker, 400 watt amp, JBL quality and reputation.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mirko

2. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

I don't know much about the JBL's.....but I think the Hsu you are thinking about is the VTF-2....right?

3. Luke D

Luke D Agent

The JBL s-120pII Just had a good right up in Home Theater Magazine. i would go to the book store and read up on it. They also reveiwed other subs.

4. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

The S-120PII reviewed very well. However, I'd advise caution. JBL seems to have a history of failing amps (often, right after the warranty period). I'm not sure if the S120PII improved on this.

5. Mirko

Mirko Agent

Thanks of the heads-up. I'll look up the review.

Yes, the HSU I'm looking at is the VTF2. HSU is right in my neighborhood, local pick-up. If they had a B stock, I would buy it right away. Hate to pay $499, though.

6. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Sometimes its better to pay more up front and get the best you can instead of trying to save a few bucks... Take it from someone that has been there and done that several times over the last 7 years. Wish I would have done it right the first time.... You should also check out SVS subs. They might have something in B stock that fits the budget.

7. Mirko

Mirko Agent

I take it, then, that your suggestion is to go with the HSU or SVS. I was just wondering re: JBK 12" driver and 400 watt amp. vs. smaller for the HSU

8. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Mirko,

From the subs that I have heard, wattage really does not mean a whole lot when it comes to sound quality.

Maybe you can get one of the JBL's for a good price off of eBay. Then ask Hsu Research if you can take it in and compare with there VTF and/or STF subs. If you like the Hsu subs better, turn around a sell the JBL sub on eBay. You should be able to get most, if not all of your money back.

9. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

I'd go with the Hsu over the JBL. It's capable of higher output with lower distortion and it will play lower as well.

10. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

I'm with frank.. go with the HSU over the other anyday but don't eliminate SVS out of the picture. Hsu and SVS both make fine products.

11. gregD

gregD Second Unit

12. kevin tate

kevin tate Stunt Coordinator

I went over a friend's house who has the Hsu VTF2. He has it w/one of the plugs in one of the ports. In his large living room, which opens up to the dining room and the kitchen, the Hsu definety shook the walls during movie; the Hsu also blended in very well when he used his two main tower speaker (an older Advent model) playing in stereo mode for music. Get the Hsu, you won't be disappointed. It might be room acoustic, but the Hsu sounded better than the +$800 Velodyne sub at Circuit City.