JBL surround set up

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by DerekCV, Apr 7, 2005.

1. DerekCV

DerekCV Stunt Coordinator

After doing alot of reading about JBL speakers and stuff I am narrowing down my choices. What I am wondering though is how various sizes of speakers flow with each other... The center has 5" duals, so what would be the best match for surrounds? My thinking would be the E20's since they have 5" speakers. But then when I look at mains I think that E30's would be a better surround since they have 6" speakers and I will get at least dual 6"s for my mains if not 8"s. I've heard people using e10's with e100 mains and they have had no problems, or they say it sounds good.

Since the center does most of the work for HT, I guess I would match the surrounds to the center and then worry about the mains for my musics.

What do you do?

2. John S

John S Producer

What I would do? Same exact speaker in all locations.

I would think any of the JBL "e" line would match as well as just about anything out there really.

3. DerekCV

so you would use a bookshelf for your center too?

4. John S

John S Producer

Most definetly. I actually hate 90% of the center channel specific speakers I encounter. [​IMG]

5. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

I have e80 mains and ec35 center and they match just fine.

6. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

So, don't get caught up with speakers sizes within a voice-matched speaker lineup and choose what will fit your budget and room!

Phil

7. Fred_Krampits

Fred_Krampits Stunt Coordinator

I accidentally reset my AV receiver and I can now see how on a uncalibrated system you could be concerned about mismatch between the various E series speakers. My EC35 center was really overpowered by my E100 fronts before I realized what I had done.

Now after calibrating it again (my Pioneer Elite VSX-55TXi A/V receiver has the auto calibrating MCACC feature), it was back to normal where the speakers (7.1 setup) blend together marvelously.

I wouldn't worry about mixing and matching any combination of the E series. As long as you calibrate it right you should be okay.

8. DerekCV

Good links, thanks. So since they all should work together, how can one determine what size you would need. Assuming I could afford the 100's but they would be over kill for the size of the room and the 80's would work just fine, so why really go bigger?? Where is the cut off point? I would like to avoid spending the extra and put it towards a killer sub instead.

Thanks.

9. John S

John S Producer

Going bigger allows you to set your cross over to your sub lower. I mean at 60hz for the cross, your mains are still pumping out a lot of bass. (A bit easier on the sub, and would help fill a larger room a little better I would think) I run my JBL s38's and 15" Velodyne this way.

10. DerekCV

I've heard that alot of people set up their main speakers as "small" in order to have the sub do most, or all, of the low end work anyway... so if you set your front as small then would it matter if you had 10's, 8's, or 6's as your mains?

11. John S

John S Producer

Well yes, as long as you can set your cross over to 60hz or lower. It will use the low end drives alot at that low of a cross. 60hz, is about as low as I suggest, weather it be an 8" or 10" low end driver on the mains / surrounds.