JBL Subwoofer complaints?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by John*DB, Sep 5, 2004.

1. John*DB

John*DB Stunt Coordinator

I have read some negative comments on here about JBL's E250P. What are the downsides to this subwoofer? No, its not going to knock the walls down, but my room is 15X15 and its in a CONDO. I don't want to make enemies with my neighbors.

Is there another subwoofer in that price range that I should be turning my attention to? Is there another subwoofer that the MAJORITY agrees is better (in that price range)?

My set up is E20s X4 and EC35 center.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    SVS and HSU should be considerations for just about any price range. Since they sell direct to the public they cut out the retailer, it’s hard to beat them in the “bang for the buck” department.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

I own it and for what I paid (less than $200), it is great! My room is 13 X 13'6, so not big - however, it has nice output, and is clean. If you get a good price, go for it.

4. John*DB

John*DB Stunt Coordinator

I think I'll stick with the E250. I would LOOOOVVE an SVS Cylinder Sub...but I just bought a house (condo) and this is getting expen$ive!!

Besides, the sub will match the rest of the setup (Cherry wood)

5. Brad_See

Brad_See Stunt Coordinator

John,

If you are looking for another option then just about everyone here knows about the Dayton Audio Sub from www.partsexpress.com. Do a search here for "dayton sub" and you'll see what kind of rep it has. I have one that I use in a room that is larger than 15x15 plus opens up into my dining room and kitchen and it sounds huge and focused. It also goes down to 25hz, the same frequency that the JBL is rated at. Several people here have done their own tests and shown that it truly does go that low and still retains quality and volume, which is pretty amazing for a sub of this price. I love mine and occasionally they go on sale for $109.99. They used to go on sale for $99.99 which is what I paid for mine. The regular price of $125 is still an incredible price for what you get.

I use my Dayton with an otherwise all-JBL Northridge setup and it sounds fantastic.

brad cook

6. John S

John S Producer

JBL subs are generaly just fine and dandy. They do not seem to hold up well to abuse is all. I liked the two I blew very much until they blew. (I already know, I run my subs way hot, and demand a lot from them)

I just accept this fact of my preferences. lol