JBL Subwoofer Amp Woes...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Popovich, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Chris Popovich

Chris Popovich Stunt Coordinator

Hello all,

I'm writing on behalf of a friend who bought a JBL PSW-D112 a couple of years ago. The subwoofer has since stopped working. When turned on, it will function well for about 1/2 hour, then start buzzing almost like a bad ground.

The sub is long out of warranty, and he doesn't have a lot of cash, so he'd like to just replace the plate amp.

Any recommendations on plate amps that'll fit the bill?

Your suggestions are appreciated,

Chris

2. Rick Guynn

Rick Guynn Second Unit

I am currently using an old (discontinued) 120W amp from PE that works fine for my uses.. BTW, I have a very similar problem with the exact same sub. PE has replaced the model amp I have with something newer. I think it is pretty cheap too. Just make a box for it and rerun the speaker leads for the subwoofer to posts outside the box.

RG

3. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

make sure you cover the big hole in the sub where the plate amp was and seal it with silicone caulk so it's airtight. It needs to be airtight or your sub will be hosed.

4. Rick Guynn

Rick Guynn Second Unit

Actually, what I did was to reroute the lines inside my sub so that I left the existing amp mounted to the box and use one of the pairs of speaker-level inputs as inputs coming from the external amp. Elinates the hassle of fabricating and sealing anything else up.

RG