JBL Studio Series

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickC, Jun 11, 2002.

1. NickC

NickC Second Unit

I am looking into buying some speakers from the JBL Studio Series for my new system, I have a Yamaha HTR 5490 receiver, and I need all of the speakers. I was thinking of going with either:

Center- S-CENTERII
    Front- S38II
    Rear- S38II
    Rear Center- ?????

or
    Center- S-CENTERII
    Front- S38II
    Rear- S26II
    Rear Center- ?????

Does anyone know what the best combination of these speakers would be and what woult be a good choice for the rear center? I would like to stay with the 26II's or 38II's.

nick

2. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Mark Knight (HTF member also recently contributing to the Receivers/Separates/Amps - "*** Official *** Outlaw 950 questions thread") bought 3 - JBL S36 sets for his 7.1 setup (w/S-Center / Dual SVS subs) and never look back (replaces his Atlantic 270TX setup), ... He finally reached his sonic Nirvana (also previously owned & reviewed Energy Take 5; Klipsch Quintets).
    Email Mark Knight (tell him I sent you [​IMG] ) and ask him questions about his JBL S36 HT setup, ... I convinced him to purchase them even though he couldn't audition them personally! He's glad he listened to me!!![​IMG]
    Food for thought,
    Phil

3. NickC

NickC Second Unit

thanks, so would you suggest going with this?

Center- S-CENTERII
    Front- S38II
    Rear- S36II
    Rear Center- S-CENTERII

I am going to listen to JBL speakers shortly, would these speakers also be a good choice for my receiver, yamaha htr 5490?

nick

4. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I am happy with my my JBL Studio Series speakers and Yamaha HTR5250 receiver. I think you will be very pleased!

5. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Yes to both questions! My present Main AV Receiver is the Yamaha RX-V995, powering my JBL S26s & S-Center / SVS 25-31PCi.
    FYI: Mark Knight asked the same question (limited side and rear space) but I recommended All S36's since he had Dual-SVS subs. My recommendation was based on the following Dolby Labs 5.1-Channel Production Guidelines:

6. NickC

NickC Second Unit

I went to a best buy today and looked at the studio series...I really liked the S38II's but I wasnt really impressed with anything else, I listened to the s26II's and S36II's and just didnt find them as clear. I don't know what receiver they had running or whatever, does anyone know if there would be a better place to listen to these speakers besides best buy?

nick

7. David King

David King Stunt Coordinator

8. NickC

NickC Second Unit

How does the S-Center II sound, it wasnt connected when i went to listen?