JBL Studio Series

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Mike~Sileck, May 9, 2004.

1. Mike~Sileck

Mike~Sileck Supporting Actor

Can I swap in two S38II's in place of S36IIPM's without any problems? I just figured they're the same series (JBL Studio Series) so I should be alright. Also, does anyone have a set of 38's or a place to buy them cheap? Thanks a lot!

Mike

2. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

Physically the S38's are much bigger than the S36's so you will have to make sure you have room. As far as the sound goes you get quite a lot more bass with the S38's but I think the S36's may be a little more open and revealing.

I saw remanufactured S38's on harmanaudio.com a while back for about $200 a pair.

3. Mike~Sileck

Well I was going to put my S36IIPM's outside, b/c they are outside speakers, and I figured while I'm doing it, I might as well upgrade. However, I might already have enough bass with my S312II's up front, and an HSU STF-3 sub. Whatcha think? Upgrade, or just buy a new set of the 36's?

Mike

4. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

The S36s are great as surround speakers, and I myself was considering using the S38s instead. My biggest issue was the fact that they are so huge, other than that I am sure they sound the same as the S36s but with more authority at the bottom-end. If you can place the S38s monsters as surround speakers, I say go for it!

http://66.46.69.23/sigserv/pl/index.pl?p=1
    Dynamic signature images powered by mod_perl running on Apache.
    My DVD Collection

5. Mike~Sileck

Hmm, well what dimension difference are we talking about here? I mean they are still wall mountable right?

mike

6. Nathan Bjork

Nathan Bjork Stunt Coordinator

I've got the specs from my owners guide for the S38's. 11.5x17.5x11.7 "horizontal configuration"

--28lb

7. Mike~Sileck

Can you wall mount 28 lb speakers? Or would that just be asking for trouble...

Mike

8. Glenn Shoemake

Sure you can wall mount those speakers. I have my B&W DM 620i wall mounted and they are approximately 50 pounds. Just be sure to get a heavy hanging kit from Home Depot and attach with screws to a stud in the wall.

9. Mike~Sileck

Alright just checking. Another quick question, if I were to wall hang them, they would protrude approx. 1 ft out, correct? (Need to know b/c this would be double the 6" that my 36's protrude). Thanks

Mike

10. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

The S38s weren't exactly intended for wall mounting, that's why JBL made the thinner wall-mountable S36s. In fact, the S38s don't even have a wall-mounting hook or hole on the back of them as far as I know. That shouldn't stop you though, because you can just put up a sturdy shelf or figure out a way to keep those babies on the wall. What might stop you is that in comparison to the S36s, the S38s may be eyesores sticking out an entire foot from the wall.

http://66.46.69.23/sigserv/pl/index.pl?p=2
    Dynamic signature images powered by mod_perl running on Apache.
    My DVD Collection

11. Nathan Bjork

Nathan Bjork Stunt Coordinator

MuneebM is right, there are no mounting holes in the S38.

I got a shelf from home depot, it is white laminate, cost like $10 and then I got some L-brackets which were like $4. I painted over both of them to match my paint (grey) and they look really nice with N26II's mounted on them. They are 24x12, although you may be able to find a larger on they might look a little wired. But anyways the S38 sticks out exacly 1 foot (13in w/ cover on). It took like 5 minutes to install, so you might want to consider a shelf like MuneebM said.

My N26's are a small 18lb (compared to S38) and the shel holds up very well.

-Nathan

12. Mike~Sileck

The 36's have holes on the bottom for some sort of stand (or tripod thing). Does the 38's have this? That way I could just buy speaker stands for them instead of shelf's if I wanted. Then again, it would probably look better with shelves due to the wires coming out of the wall. Anyways, just let me know so I have an idea of my options, thanks a lot!

Mike

13. Joseph Sabato

Joseph Sabato Stunt Coordinator

The S38's make no provision for mounting, you need a sturdy shelf to hold them. I have S38's in front and S36's for surrounds and there is a huge difference in bass capability between the two. I knew that going in, but did not have a place for S-38's that would work since my surrounds needed to be on stands (and you would need some heavy stable stands for them)

14. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

I notice last week that HK no longer has the S38's for sale on their site. Maybe they will get some more in? Right now though it looks like E-Bay is the best bet to find some!

15. Mike~Sileck

Does anyone with a set of these want to do me a favor and take a bunch of pictures that show me all of the angles, and preferably with like a dvd case next to them for a size comparision. I just want to get an overall idea of them b/c no internet sites really give you any pictures other than the front view. Thanks a lot!

Mike

16. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

Pics of the S38s? I have some here.

That's a 19" monitor between them.

17. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

18. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

I only hooked them up to my PC as sort of a joke because I didn't really have anywhere else to put them at the time. But it didn't take long to decided I wanted to keep them there so I bought a better amp and there you have it. Now I just need a subwoofer.

19. Tom Tubbiola

Tom Tubbiola Stunt Coordinator

This is a picture of my S38s in my old room. They are flanking a 27" TV.

S38s Mounted on the Wall

[​IMG]

20. Mike~Sileck

Wow! That is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. Can you give me the name of those stands you're using? Do they hold them fine (28 lbs is a beast!)? thanks a lot!

Mike