1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

JBL studio series with kenwood 6070

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Greg Patterson, Jul 13, 2003.

1. Greg Patterson

The Mrs. gave me the ok to upgrade my speakers in a few months! I have a question about how well they will work with my receiver which is a Kenwood 6070. I wont be getting a seperate amp. for at least a year or more. The speakers that I am thinking about are JBL studio series. The set up would be:
    Mains (2): s38
    Center: s center
    surround L&R (2): s36
    surround back (2): s36
    sub: studio series 12" (dont recall model#)

I know that my receiver wont drive 2 rear surrounds without a seperate amp. But I am getting 2 speakers anyway so that when I do get the amp. I will already have the speaker.
    Does anyone already have this set up?
    Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

2. Todd Christ

Todd Christ Stunt Coordinator

You'll love the S series speakers, I have the S38's SCenter and i had to go with N24's in the rear (sizing issue) but I'm VERY pleased with my setup, I'm running a Denon 1803 for a receiver and I have the Sony SA-WM40 subwoofer, the one you're going to get should be a bit better than the sony so best of luck!!!

oh - and if you like buying things online... I found my S Series on eBay but I don't think there are any vendors selling them right now...

try these guys - http://www.bestpriceaudiovideo.com (CHEAP! and GREAT service!)
    S38II $249 pair
    SCenterII $125
    S36II $199/pair

or http://www.bhphotovideo.com they're offering free shipping on JBL speakers!!!

S38II's are $249/pair
    SCenterII $140
    S36II's are $220/pair

best of luck

3. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Todd, thanks for the heads up on the free shipping! I've been looking at the S36s since they were sold for $270. It looks like as of April they dropped solidly down to $200 everywhere--except certain brick and mortar retailers!

I'm on a budget, so these are going to be my main speakers (on either side of a JBL S-something or other 3-way center channel speaker which I've had for a couple years).

4. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Here's my Amazon review I just wrote:

My experience in playing DVD movies with these S36's as front speakers, and an S series center channel speaker (and a couple generic rear speakers), has been entirely positive; a very natural soundstage is presented when a DVD is pumping out information to all the different channels. I am less impressed by how they perform solo (as a pair that is, without any center channel or surrounds) so will limit my reccomendation to only those who are buying them as part of a multi speaker set up.

Does this mean you should not get these? Depends on how you tend to play back stereo music (from CDs): If you are a purist who chooses to play stereo music through only 2 speakers, these are not the speakers for you (indeed, avoid shelf speakers altogether and get some good floor speakers!). If you're a modern person who tends to engage your receiver's surround processing to force a stereo signal into all the center speaker and surrounds too, then you've got no worries - this seems to be what they are made for. Needless to say, but I'll say it anyway: these shelf speakers are better than shelf speakers that use a remote woofer. However, this still doesn't mean they have great bass. They have moderate bass - better than those, but still not competing with floor speakers. Indeed, despite these being great for shelf speakers, after several years of trying different kinds of shelf speakers I've come to the conclusion that there's simply no replacement for good old fashioned floor speakers with huge woofers - if you can afford it, and if you have a large enough room.

But if you are in a smaller apartment and don't have space to waste on floor speakers, and are looking for speakers to be part of a surround system, then these S36 are definately worth considering - particularly at the $200 to $300 price range they are most often available for ($198 THANKS TO TODD AND B&H WHOHOO!). They are remarkably flush - only 5 inches deep, meaning they can even fit on shallow DVD shelves - you don't need actual bookshelves for these, which is why I chose them over JBL's other similarly-prices speakers. I wanted speakers that would not be competing for space. They can also be mounted to the wall - either hung, or on a mount (useful for people intending to use these as rears).

In short these are probably perfect for students-through-thirties who want to build an excellent surround system that doesn't waste space, and want a moderate amount of bass (more than many shelf units, but not as much as floor units).

5. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

I like the studio series but I am not really sold on their subwoofers. I would look at SVS, Aperion Audio, etc. and see if you see anything there.

6. MikeKaz

MikeKaz Stunt Coordinator

I hooked my s36's up as mains for about 30 seconds just to see what theyd be like and i was pretty amazed how horrible they sounded. theyre great as surrounds but they are way too bright harsh and plastic sounding for use in any two channel application. i honestly think you would be better off with S26's as mains simply due to the fact that they have better bass extention and are more open sounding than the s-36's even though they are missing the midrange driver. the s-36' were meant as surrounds and their performance as main speakers is sub-par especially if they are ever used without a sub. the s-26 has a much better enclosure not to mention porting and was made to stand on its own. if you really can't swing $250 for s38's or dont have the space, i would go with the s26's as mains instead. of course i would strongly recommend the s38's with s36's as surrounds but its up to you.