JBL Studio series in white?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Warren, Jun 9, 2002.

1. Brian Warren

Brian Warren Stunt Coordinator

are the only Studio series in white the S36's AW? I would not want to wall mount black speakers.
    thanks
    brian

2. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

Those white s36's are all weather speakers. So you're going to be paying more for them just because they are white (your not using them outside right?). JBL (non-all-weather) studios also come in cherry and beech.

3. Brian Warren

Brian Warren Stunt Coordinator

not only are they all weather but I bet they dont sound as good with the plastic housing. also, in the studio or northride, thet have no dipoles and I believe most all HT audiopliles rec. dipoles for the sides.

4. James Zubb

James Zubb Stunt Coordinator

All S36 have plastic housing, not just the AW. FWIW I think they sound fine as surrounds.

5. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

6. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

"did you know that more than 70 percent of the world's great recording studios monitor on JBL loudspeakers?"
    I also found out that more than 80% of THX certified commercial theaters use JBL equiptment."
    If I wanted my 6.1 soundstage to be delivered over a wide range of audience then YES I'd use dipoles. But because my HT is dedicated to 1 or 2 person use I prefer the sound of "monopoles". Having multidirectional speakers tends to cause unwanted reflections and will begin sounding more like Bose.
    The JBLs in Beech is pretty close to white. I'd get Beech if I had to choose a series II (silver cone) JBL speaker because beech looks like maple. Maple is one of my favorite modern woods, one that I'd almost consider to be an exotic. [​IMG]