JBL studio L ??

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by PeterK, Nov 13, 2005.

1. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

Hey, I was just checking the jbl site and I noticed the studio L series. they're all 3 or 4 way!! what's up with the 40khz tweeter?
    Anyone (phil) have these or have anything to say about them? are they a good buy? are they actually similar to the studio series? or a whole new animal?
    http://www.jbl.com/home/products/series.aspx?SerId=SLS

2. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Hey PeterK, from what I gather reading over the spec's is that the "L-Series" is the replacements to JBL's original S- and S-Series Mark II speakers! As we know, the JBL S36's are still marketed for the LCD/Plasma HT consumers.

Now, IMHO, ... the additional "Ultrahigh-Frequency Driver" is questionable and on the surface it seems that the inclusion of that super tweeter w/beyond normal hearing frequency, ... seems like a marketing ploy. But until someone credible subjectively and objectively benchmark the "L-Series", the book is still open if their cost vs. performance is justified*!!! (*Hall-mark of the original S-Series!!!)

If they start marketing them in their JBL PRO Studio LSR's Monitor's Series (Broadcasting - Mixing Studio's, etc), then I might believe that there is something credible with the super tweeter!

I have not heard them and I'm not planning to go out of my way to audition them since my present JBL S26's (PRO Studio equivalent = LSR 25), S-Center and SVS-25-31PCi cover's the audible 20 Hz to 20 kHz range within 3dB easily, clearly, effortlessly, smoothly and w/pant-leg moving sub-sonic impact (SVS) @ all my seating locations in my 20' x 30' HT/family room!

My once or twice a month usual movie group (between 6 to 15 family/friends) that comes over for my Friday NITE DVD presentations (last = Star Wars III, all clapped when the credit's rolled) ... just keep coming back!!! [​IMG]

Phil

3. John S

John S Producer

They sure do look cool. Pretty new still, I use S38's and love them, but if I were in the market, I'd be giving them a try for sure.

We would all love to get your impressions if you decide to give them a try. In many un-sound-treated rooms and treated/dead rooms as well, those near field designed current tweets will roll off up very high. I can see this on the meter in most installations I have come across that use S-Series speakers.
    I think the new super tweet is an effort to keep that from happening perhaps? Seems a decent upgrade to the line anyways.

4. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

They do look cool.

There was a thread and the discussion about the supertweeter was that it kept the sound level, flat, and disperced up to (and above) 20 KHz., not just 20-40KHz.

I would really like to play with them.

Also, I have seen a lot of price drops and scaling back of the Northridge E series speakers - maybe they are about done?

Maybe the idea is the supertweeter will clearly differentiate between the (soon to be new?) Northridge series and the Studio L's?

5. Mark--M

Mark--M Stunt Coordinator

I'm a little dissapointed with them. I've been waiting a long time for the new studio series so I could get a set of slim floorstanding speakers like the dual 6's they have now. But now that they have the mains I want, I cant get a matching center? The center with compareble drivers is a wall mountable center. That makes no sense. If i wanted a wall mountable center I would buy all wall mount speakers. And anybody buying the big floorstanders surely whats a center with a midrange driver.

I would have much preffered they left the whole series all as 3 ways, and had a center available with dual 5's, a midrange and tweeter.

6. John S

John S Producer

While they are wall mount-able, I was not under the impression they had to be wall mounted. The Thin styling is cool all on it's own. I didn't think they would like fall over or anything. I need to go demo some of these in person as soon as possible I suppose.

7. David_Rivshin

David_Rivshin Second Unit

I was liking the sealed models in the Studio-L series, until I noticed just how thin they were. My concern is that there won't be enough air volume in the enclosure to support those large woofers. Of course I'm no speaker designer, so maybe it'll work just fine, but it seemed an odd mix to me. Conversely the speakers in the line with larger enclosures are all ported. I'd be most interested in a large volume sealed set. I don't need the real low extension of a ported main, as that's what the subwoofer is for, and I have this idea in my head that sealed mains will be more accurate. Luckily it looks like SVS is stepping up to the plate there.

For reference I'm currently running S38II's for mains, S-CenterII, and S36II's for side surrounds. I think they were great values for the money I paid, but we've all got to look towards to future [​IMG]

-- Dave

8. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Stereophile reviews the JBL Studio L880

The reviewer was really impressed with this model's bass response:
    For me, this kind of cool stuff is why speakers are the most interesting part of an audio system. [​IMG]

* Robert Reina: "The one coloration I noticed, on every recording I played through the L880s, was a slight lower midrange emphasis, though this seemed evenly distributed over a broad frequency band and never sounded hooty, resonant, or uneven. It was very easy to follow the pitches in the rapid double-bass passages of David Chesky's Violin Concerto, from Area 31 (CD layer, Chesky SACD282)." Plus this later on: "If you want to crank this baby, it will party. I make it a point never to listen to Courtney Love at less than 100dB, and on Hole's Celebrity Skin (CD, Geffen DGCD-25631), the coherent rhythms had me twitching across the room. On this track, the L880s' slightly warm midbass gave the tune a greater sense of drive."

9. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

RE: the 40KHz supertweeter.

Newborn babies can hear to 20KHz. By the time you are 20, you are lucky to hear 18KHz. By 40, lucky to hear 15KHz. There is also virtually no material with even 15KHz content in it. And, speakers that actually test flat to 20KHz tend to sound harsh.

I know of a guy who had the bug real bad. He spent $10,000 on some high-end speakers flat to 20KHz, thoroughly enjoying seeing them removed from their large wooden shipping crates. When he set them up and listened, he was terribly disappointed! They were bright enough to practically make his ears bleed. He then spent a bunch of money on different speaker wires, interconnects, etc., all to no avail. So then he started trying new amps. Finally ended up with some silly 3 watt single-ended triode tube amp.

Of course these were "audiophile" type speakers. I am sure the JBLs are not harsh. This can all be adjusted for with the mid-range and woofer of the speaker. A slight downward slope out to 40KHz will eliminate any brightness. The supertweeter doesn't hurt anything, but isn't needed either.

What WOULD make a really nice difference is a second tweeter on the back of the speaker. Speakers that have that feature to sound sound quite good.

10. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

That's what I think too.

Despite all the years Ive been involved in this hobby, I still have yet to hear about any conclusive evidence that ultrasonic frequencies add to the listening experience. Some researchers think those sounds MAY have an effect on the bones in the skull or hearing mechanism itself, & the brain may pick up on them that way, but AFAIK this idea has not moved past the theory stage.

And to add to your post: since so many (most?) recording microphones can't even pick up on ultrasonics, plus the fact many vintage mics stopped around 12kHz-15kHz (and vintage mics & their reproductions are very popular to use with modern recordings) having a speaker with response past 20kHz seems a bit irrelevant.

11. John Mil

John Mil Agent

These speakers sound pretty nice(the specs, I never auditioned them)! I was set on buying the Paradigm Monitor 11's for my 2 channel system, but now I am thinking twice. Anyone have any thoughts?