JBL Studio II Studio III Compatibility

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by KirkA, Jun 7, 2004.

1. KirkA

KirkA Agent

This may be a question that no one knows the answer to but here it goes. I started out with a JBL NSP1 set, and replaced the N-24s for a set of Studio Series for my mains. I'm still using the N-Center thinking I'll get an S-Center when I get around to it.

Well the other day I got around to getting an S-Center only to realize that they are discontinued and highly sought after. I've looked on ebay a little but I'd really prefer not to buy a used one, also there are a lot more of the Studio I Series with the ugly gold speaker cones.

Does anyone know if the new Studio III Series will be compatible,as far as timber matching, with the Series II? What would really be great is if the Studio IIIs used the same tweeter but had a nicer, non big ol' plastic box, enclosure.

Also, if anyone has a source for a new or "like new" S-Center II please let me know.

2. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

I am in the same boat. I have s38's as mains with an N center. While to my ear the N center matches, I would like a center that handles more power. Thought of using a third S38 or an S series speaker as center. What are your mains?

3. Dwayne-S

Dwayne-S Agent

There are a few S-Center speakers currently on eBay.

4. KirkA

KirkA Agent

I forget what model number the mains are, they have 1 10" woofer.

I did find a new in box S-Center but the guy wants 325 +shipping (cough). No thanks. I've got no golden ear so if all else fails I'll get an S-Center III it should be fine, I'd just like everything to much if possible.

5. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

That is my experience as well. Two months ago the S center was selling for 150. I cannot really tell that my N center does not match the S38's but I would like a center to handle more power. I found the EC35 online for 150. Still not a matching tweeter but I wonder if it sounds better than the N center.

I still may just keep looking to find an S38 to use as a center channel. Just a little akward with placement.