What's new

JBL Speaker Recommendations (1 Viewer)

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Hey Frank, I do remember reading that thread (nice pic's by the way) and I feel that for the audio hobbyist that likes to DIY, ... it's a excellent option to possibly improve the sound and cabinet denseness. The costs of the speakers and material lends itself to a win-win scenario if the person is careful while performing the upgrades.

Interestingly, JBL felt that the original N26 had some issues since the Mark-II variation uses a wood enclosure.

Most of the customer's I dealt with in the past (owned a small business - sold Audio/Video/Computer), were not inclined to open a speaker box, let alone take off the speaker grill. So with that thought in mind, much kudos goes to JBL for mass-producing the N- & S-Series speakers with consistent excellent voice characteristics that were highly and positively documented subjectively & objectively!

I've received a lot of emails from casual to serious Audio consumers that enjoyed the JBL sound from their unmodified N- & S-Series. Very few would think about updating the x-over or changing or adding more internal speaker polyfill especially if they are happy with their overall dynamic 'better than local Cinema' HT sound!

I must admit that your approach is less radical than removing & re-soldering analog components on the internal x-over PCB!

Phil

Frank Carter

Screenwriter

I thought of that and figured that's why I heard the biggest difference with the N26. I got all the JBL speaker open box for only $300 when they were introducing the MkII versions but only hooked them up about a couple weeks ago because my parents basement wasn't finished then. I've been stunned at how good they sound for the price and I just wanted to thank you for your persistence in presenting all of us with the info on JBL speakers, it was your posts that got me looking at the JBL N series in the first place.

Norman L

Second Unit
Tom,
Thanks for the posts, I have helped my friend Rich, you, MuneebM, and Ron from Indiana.

FYI, Albert ran around to 6 or 7 Best Buys and drove hours to make a few bucks and help those that needed and wanted a factory fresh unit. He deserves the thanks.

Norm

Vince Bellino

Auditioning
Hooray! I finally found a S-Center II as well. A seller on EBAY agreed to end his auction early and sell it to me for a fair price. Now I must decide whether to use S38II's or S36II's as my rears. I'm using S38II's for fronts and lovin' them...decisions, decisions ;)

Vince

Charlie B. Ch.

Stunt Coordinator
I recently upgraded to S38II fronts and move the S26 to surrounds + rears (center is Series II). I found that this combination is not as seamless as I would like it to be. Maybe it is the bass or the 3-way v. 2-way thing, I don't know. I just put in an order for 2 new pairs of S38II to complete the setup and I will be selling off the older 2 pairs of S26 soon.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Charlie the S36's are excellent as rears with the S38 mains. This would be a cheaper solution to your problem. They blend perfectly and look alot nicer than those huge S38's in the rear.

Ughh, grey grill ewww...:b

Vince Bellino

Auditioning

This is exactly my dilemna. I currently have my theater setup in my living room but I am in the process of permitting a dedicated theater room to be built in the spring. The new room will have columns to hide the speakers and I would prefer the S38II's in the columns. However in the meantime the S36's would be the better choice as they would hang on the back wall nicely as rears.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
Hey folks, I haven't visited this thread in a while, mainly because I've been so damn busy trying to find all my speakers!

Thanks to all for their suggestions, and I'll give you all an update about what's going on my side. I was having a lot of difficulty finding an S-Center II center channel and S36II surround speakers. I had already decided on the S310II floorstanders for my fronts, although I wanted the S38II bookshelves, the cost of additional stands just didn't make sense since it would end up costing just as much as the S310IIs. I finally got my hands on the S-CenterII thanks to Albert Ness, NormanL's friend, who was very nice to run around a few Best Buys until he found one for me.

I was in fact planning to mount the S38II bookshelves on the walls for surround purposes, which now seems like a ridiculous idea considering their massive size. I really didn't want to get the S26II bookshelves for 2-way/3-way issues. I finally found slightly used S36IIs on eBay, won the auction and expect to have them home by Jan. 31st.

I picked up my S310IIs (shipped to my Plattsburgh address, purchased at BHPhotoVideo.com), on Saturday Jan. 24th and I must say these speakers are incredible! In stereo mode, they have plenty of bass and absolutely amazing imaging! In surround mode, they provide a much fuller sound, although they don't match at all with my current center and surrounds (part of a Kenwood HTIB) and I also don't think my Kenwood receiver is powerful enough to drive them sufficiently in surround mode!

Anyways, I will have all my speakers home by January 31st, mounted and wired 12-gauge by Feb. 1st and I'll let you all know how I like them!

Now on to receiver shopping... this never ends!

Norman L

Second Unit
Anyone looking for the discontinued, no where to be found JBL S CenterII

Albert Ness notified me that he should be getting 2 more - New Factory Sealed boxes of JBL S CenterII on Friday or Monday.

Anyone interested email him directly at [email protected]

BillSune

Agent
hey man,

i've actually got a friend that is trying to sell his JBL Studio Series stuff if you are still intersted give him an email [email protected] . I have personally heard plenty of music and movies from these speakers to know that they really do rock out.

Bill

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Anybody still looking for JBL S36II or S Centers? Just caught this thread and have some I could possibly part with. The four S36s are all weather (can be put outside) and white, the one S center is black.

I would part with them and get new speakers for a nice price, send a PM if anyone is looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks