What's new

JBL Speaker package- What should I get? (1 Viewer)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Ok, I will be honest, I can't wrap my brain around why someone can have 80 watts per channel and be better than someone with 110 watts per channel. All I know is that I have 2 front speakers right now that are 100watts (aiwa) and sound great, but the rear speakers are only 80watts and have to be right by the couch to get the effect. I am upgrading my receiver and want to do the same for my speakers but want really good surround for a really good price. JBL is on the list (based on price and generally high opinions). CAN YOU HELP ME :)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The wattage rating on the speaker itself has little to do with anything at all. It is nothing more than a guideline for maximum continuous rating for power input before the crossover frys.

You didn't mention which speakers you actually have or are interested in, nor a budget, so it is not so simple to assist you. Also significant will be whether you listen to more music or movies, sub or no sub, size of room?

If you haven't properly calibrated your speakers using test tones and an SPL meter, you may not need to upgrade your speakers at all.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
To repeat the HTF recommended credo',
1) Establish a budget
2) Audition the speakers within or around that budget
.... a) Recommendation / opinions are subjective
.... b) although objective results by S&V by Tom Nousaine Speaker Graphs SPL are comparable
3) REFERENCE Calibrate the whole HT Setup using Radio Shack SPL Meter and ...
.... a) Sound & Vision HT Tune DVD @ 85 dB, or ...
.... b) Video Essentials DVD @ 75 dB, (my favorite of all 3 owned) or ...
........ 1. Video Essentials includes a dedicated LFE test tone
.... c) AVIA DVD @ 85 dB
JBL Speaker package- What should I get?
For the best price vs. performance - meaning that with any power-sub, the REF Calibrated HT Sound System will be better than your local Cinema Theater with dynamics and clarity, without fear of blowing up your speakers - ... I recommend the JBL NSP1 for $249.88 w/FREE Shipping. Since the entire system has usable lower frequency reaching 89 Hz (unlike some more expensive satellites**), ...
JBL NSP1
Frequency Response
N-24 front left/right..... 89 Hz to 18.9 kHz ±2.7 dB
N-Center.................... 89 Hz to 20 kHz ±5.5 dB
N-24 surround............ 89 Hz to 18.4 kHz ±3.2 dB
... using a Onkyo AV Receiver with a fixed 80 Hz x-over or Yamaha with a fixed 90 Hz x-over works great with any 10" - 15" powered-sub.
Many have used the 12" 120 watt Sony SA-WM40 with the NSP1's, I personally use the 15" 200w AudioSource SW15 for a glorious Cinema Theater HT SPL wide & clear playback!
** Energy Take 5.2
Frequency Response
Take 2.2 front left/right.... 110 Hz to 16.3 kHz ±4.5 dB
Take 1.2 center............... 110 Hz to 17.4 kHz ±4.5 dB
Take 2.2 surround........... 110 Hz to 13.2 kHz ±3.2 dB
Example: Using the Take 5.2 w/my Yamaha fixed 90Hz x-over would introduce a frequency hole gap between 90 Hz to 110 Hz (20 Hz wide hole), another example if you were using a Onkyo AV Receiver w/fixed 80 Hz x-over - 30 Hz wide frequency gap hole.
For more JBL NSP1 Speaker INFO & Reviews w/links, see my web page Why you should add JBL N & S Series to your audition list!.
NOTE: Because my website is 'FREE', hosted by GeoCities, if too many HT enthusiasts visit, GeoCities will shut it down for an hour or so because it exceeded the specified 'freebie' Data Transfer Rate. Sorry about that, just bookmark it and visit my site an hour later or when everyone has gone to bed!
Phil

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
The budget I have to work within is less than $600. I have a 12" 150 watt JBL powered sub, the speakers are all Aiwa but I do not know the name of them specifically. I would use it for 90% movies!

Thanks for the info so far!

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
$609.97 said:
If it's good enough for the DD/DTS 5.1 Mixing Sound Engineer, then it's good enough for me! :)
FYI: Audio journalists choose the JBL S26 as the best speaker on most clips (Blind-Test - Computer Controlled Audio & Video clips) vs. a Boston Acoustics CR8 & a B&W DM601! Jul 1, 2001 - Scott Wilkinson - "OBJECTIVE SUBJECTIVITY" - Electronic Musician.
Phil

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I have an Aiwa receiver right now. I will have to post the model info when I get home, but it is appx 2 years old!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks