JBL Speaker Debate

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_Ollie, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Mike_Ollie

Mike_Ollie Auditioning

I am in debate as to which JBL speakers to purchase for my HT. I enjoy the S36 but do not believe they can hang from a ceiling where my pre wired outlets are. I feel my only solution would be the n24s with the ncenter. Any ideas?

2. Boka

Boka Stunt Coordinator

With some ductape, some parachute cord and a private you can hang anything anywhere...

Why can't you hang them from the ceiling? I've gone through various iterations of home built brackets, zip ties (matched the paint even) and fishing line.

I'm very happy with my JBL Studio series and to me they sound alot better then the northridge series. If you can't do the s-38's, maybe the s-36?

3. Jean_Hendrickx

I changed my Front (L/R) from two small 8"x5" 100 watts for a JBL S38II floorstanding and the center for a N Center and it worth the additional floor space, my living room isn't so roomy (20' x 12'), but the sound was enhanced sooo much!!

Jean H//

4. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

You have your S38's on the floor? They were designed to as bookshelf speakers. Get them on 24-30 stands and they'll sound alot better.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The N38II is a floorstander, not the S38. The S38 is the horizontally arranged bookshelf based on one of their LSR Pro Monitor designs.

6. Andre Aguiar

Andre Aguiar Agent

What do you guys recommend floor stands to be used with the S38ii and s26ii's? I'm planning on a getting the JBL setup (S-Center ii, S38ii for the fronts and S26ii for the rears; are the s26ii for the rears overkill or should I go with the N series for the rears???).

Or what wall/corner brackets would hold the S38's????

Thanks
    Andre

7. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Andre,

I think you shouldn't mix series, both are good options, but dont mix Studio Series with Northbrige, both have differt timbre, so try to stay in one serie.

My suggestion is if you can go for Studio,

Four S26 or Four S38 or Four S36, depennds on the size of the room, and where are you going to place them.

If you want to have floor standing for with the 412 or the 312, and pair the with S38 or S36 for surround.

In any setup include the S Center.

If you still want floor standing and you think the Northbrige series are enough, go for the N38 for mains, N26 for surrounds, and N center.

And if you buget allows you, go for an SVS sub, the PCi line is in sale right now.

Any way you go is going to be a good setup, but remember not to mix series, and four identical speakers are better.

Hope this helps,
    Pablo Abularach

8. Andre Aguiar

Andre Aguiar Agent

Pablo,

I don't have a very large room to begin with and I figure that having 4 S38's would be overkill. I feel the S26's for surrounds would do the job just fine (11x14x9). So you see I don't have a very large room, big enough to hold an entertainment Amoir, 36" Toshiba, a Rowe sofa and 2 bookshelves for the Amoir that houses my TX-DS797, Onkyo carousel changer and Toshiba dvd player.

I don't even think I would need a sub yet (have to wait and see if the 38's would do the job). If I do get a sub I don't think it will need to be a very large one.

Thanks
    Andre

9. Pablo Abularach

Andre,

My room is 14x14x9, and I have the four S26 and S center, pair with an SVS 25-31PCi. This set up is a winner, I bought everything in etronics, excepts the sub.

S26 $170 pair = 340
    S Center = 140
    SVS 25-31 = 500

So I think for $1000, you could get a very good setup.

And in my opionon, you should get a sub, is a good invesment, although the S38 have a better range and go lower than the S26, you will never have the feeling that you will get with a sub. But again this is only my opinion, save a buck or two and go for the S26, and pair them with an SVS and you will have a great set up.

Hope this helps,
    Pablo Abularach

10. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Andre, ... I 2nd Pablo recommendation for either four S38's or four S26s!
    It basically follows Dolby Labs 5.1-Channel Production Guidelines: which reads ...
    Sound&Vision benched marked the S38 usable lower frequency to reach 80Hz @ -3.8 dB, so if you want to get the benefit HT DD/DTS 5.1 impact, you will need a sub!
    The SVS 25-31PCi for the sale price of $499 will provide that DD/DTS 5.1 sub-sonic, floor, air, wall, pant leg moving impact!!! (- after the HT setup has been REFERENCE Calibrated of course!!! [​IMG])
    Phil

11. Andre Aguiar

Andre Aguiar Agent

Phil,

Now if I end up getting the S26ii for the rears I would be achieving 94-96% timbre-matching. Thats pretty good. Going with that how much would I notice if I were to go with 4 s38ii instead? I know its 97-99% timbre matching but the difference is only 1-5%.

Is that enough of a difference to splurge the extra cash for?

Thanks for all the info.
    Andre

12. Pablo Abularach

Tell us what is going to be the aplication (music or movies) and how much are you willing to spend.

For me is 95% movies, and 5% music. And my budget was $2000, so people from here, like phil (thanks phil), help me out, and from recievers also, to choose my Marantz SR6200, etc. So the more info you give in you replies, the best answer or opinions you will get.

One other thing that I might add is that the S26 are heavy, and very difficult to hang, I had to custom design some hanging equipment. and the S38 will weight more. So you better check them out before you buy them, to see if you are going to have the space available for them. Or just buy some stands.

13. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

14. Andre Aguiar

Andre Aguiar Agent

I plan on using my setup for both home theater and music (leaning more to the music side since with the digital cable and all those commercial free music channels, CDs and MP3s). Its not like we watch movies everyday. We occasionally like to catch a good flick from time to time.

My other equipment is:

Onkyo TX-DS797
    Toshiba DVD
    Onkyo 6 disc carousel
    Toshiba 36" SuperTube

Pablo, I did go to Best Buy to check out the JBLs. They are a bit bigger than I had initially expected and yes they do have some weight behind them. I would have liked to get corner wall brackets but I don't think that would be an option for me (my house was built in the 30's and we have horse hair plaster all over the place and that would make it that much more difficult to get it hooked up correctly without making a mess if you know what I mean). I do believe my only solution is to get stands for the fronts and surrounds (center channel isn't an issue).

Hope this helps in answering any further questions.

Andre

15. Mike_Ollie

Mike_Ollie Auditioning

Are there any speakers in the studio series that can be hung from the celing. I can mount the fronts on shelfs but am having a difficult time with the celing outlet. Keep in mind that my wife is concerned with the looks of things. I know I can hang the n24s but my first choice is the studio series.

16. Pablo Abularach

Mike,

In the studio sereies, the only speaker that is design to be hang is the S36, but is bigger and heavier than N24. I don't know if you could hang it from the celing, but it is posible. Try to see and weight them, so you will figure if you can do it.

Hoper this helps,
    Pablo Abularach

17. KyleRoussel

KyleRoussel Stunt Coordinator

All I can contribute to this thread is that I've got a tiny 8x11 bedroom and have a HK320 powering 4 s26II's and the S-Center II along with the PB12. It's not the greatest speaker configuration as the surrounds are right next to my head, but what's cool about it is that the sound travels along the wall directly behind my head and sounds amazing. If I had a bigger room, the place would sound incredible, but I'm happy with it and would give my ringing endorsement to picking up 4 S26-II's and the S-CenterII for a small-medium sized room, even though you can't wall mount them.

18. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

If you want to mount S26's on the wall, here's a link to some wonderful brackets. They clamp onto the bottom of the speaker. Be sure to stud mount them. They can handle almost anything you throw at them. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Meaux

Meaux Stunt Coordinator

There's no such thing as "overkill" when it comes to audio,
    But that's just me.

2 4410's rear
    2 4312's front
    2 DCM 07's center
    2 RS 12" subs
    Adcom pre
    Adcom 555 200wpc
    Adcom 7000 130wpc X 5
    3 aural exciters w/ big bottom

Toshiba 50H81

I do plan on going to 4 S38's and S center, and a better sub.

20. KyleRoussel

KyleRoussel Stunt Coordinator

Great link Adam, thanks!