What's new

JBL some things I learned N-center..Setup (1 Viewer)

Richard_s

Second Unit
I have had many posts my new JBL speakers. Many helped me tremendousle. Now let me share a few things. Note that I only have a DPL receiver right now so my set-up is limited. What I have is:

Ncenter

N26 mains

Bose Model 100's (will replace in future)

Sony Sa-wm40 (just got yesterday)

The problems I reported on were sibilance (more so in the ncenter than the N26's.

Using AVIA (set-up for DD5.1 but good for setting front channels in DPL). I set things up with AVIA and after playing aroung with settings and placement I got all of the tests in AVIa to be quite flat. The timber was off some in that the Ncenter was brighter than the N26 but not bad.

Well It was not the ncenter. With the ncenter sitting flat on top of my TV (53hs10) which has a very large plastic top the Ncenter was coupling into the top surface and appeared to be acting like a sounding board except it seemed to accentuate the HIGHS. I put the speaker up on rubber feet to isolte and also tilted down to help voice location. I can tell you now the timber is matched. The test in AVIA is smooth no tonal change moving left to right.

I just watched a movie called "pulse" if you can catch it this is a great movie if you want to get alot of side to side movement that is extremely well done. you just can not tell the sound is switching from side mains to center.

Have a little work to do with the SUB but the Sa-wm40 seems pretty seemless in listening and in all the sweep tests using the SPL meter some dips and peaks but in general I couls get it to hols +/-2db down to 30hZ.

I am sure when I get a new Denon or other receiver it will just get better but right now this system is impressive enough. Music also sound crisp and clear.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Great job Richard! Your exercise in playing Sherlock Holmes paid off - because we all want, sound that is crisp and clear!! :)
Now, enjoy and save your milk-money for your new AV Receiver and new JBL N24 surround speakers! Got to retire that 'B...' speaker.
Phil

Richard_s

Second Unit
Phil:
I am learning so maybe soon I will be able to help others more I really appreciate all the help you and others give.
YES the Bose rears will go but I need to get a new receiver first got to spread this project out a little. I need a DD DPL II receiver (thinking of the Dennon 1602/1802)
Does what I found make sence I thought "sounding" boards accentuate the base but this set-up it seemed to accentuate the Highs for my center?
With regard to my SA-WM40: In another thread I stated that I also found that the best way for me to get a good response (as little interfearance as possible somewhat flat but there are peaks and valleys) based on the AVIA low frequency sweep using my radioshack SPL meter was to face the SUB at the side wall from about 1 foot away (90 deg to the listener). Never see anyone else post doing this so there must be something wrong with this set-up. Still need to "play" aroung some but this seems to have eliminated the "booming" as well minimize interfearance compared to facing the SUB toward the listener. What is the feeling of aiming the SUB like this at a wall.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Still need to "play" aroung some ...What is the feeling of aiming the SUB like this at a wall.
Bass reinforcement is really location depended and it's enhancement or detriment will be based on the room size, acoustics and what you hear/feel. In a way, it does take carful room integration to get the most performance out of any sub!

In my HT room, when I had a 10" 100w Sherwood Sub, I put it in the same corner that I have my SVS in now, but it was angled within the corner @ 45°, facing my center of my HT Room - sounded great!

When I got my 15" AudioSource sub, the above arrangement for my 10" Sherwood sub didn't work, and I eventually squared it in the corner (back was 8" from the wall, and the side was 10" from the wall), with the opening facing the back of my HT Room. So, both front firing subs, same corner, different size, and different arrangements for room integration.

My SVS is just place in the corner - equal distant from the walls.

So experiment to get the maximum performance out of your sub in your room.

Phil

Richard_s

Second Unit
I tried the configuration at 45 Degrees with driver facing the center of the room. The two rear corners ar aprrox 8 inchs from the sidewalls any closer to the corner and it starts to "boom" a little too much. This so far is the best response. I get down to 29hz (radioshack SPL meter) but most important the Peaks and valleys are reduced (base more level). The other thing that is more prominant (than facing the wall with the SUB) is that the "feel" of the vibration is much enhanced but this caused me to have to go around the room and find and "kill" things that were resonating.
Now this one is funny. Most of the problems were pictires and my forced hot water radiators (fixwd those). One eluded me and finnally I found it. I still had my front BOSE cubes mounted to the wall and they were the cause of the resonance. Now BOSE am-7 system is totally gone :)
Given that My current receiver has no SUB output so I yhad to hook things up using the L&R speakers wired to the SUB and then the JBL26's to the SUB I think this is as far as I can go until I get a new receiver but this system sounds great. Very hard to play with room placement of the sub when you have 4 sets of peaker wire to contend with vs 1 coaxial connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks