What's new

Jbl Scs160si (1 Viewer)

Jeff smit

Agent
Hi to all, I'm a newbie here and just bought the Denon 3803 for $648.06 after reading another thread here (thanks). The problem comes from that the receiver ate up most my $1000. budget. I have found these (JBL SCS160SI)
for $350. The wife really likes the size of these and am curious if anyone could recomend something else in that price range that is complete for 6.1 also one last question...what do people think of the JBL SCS160SI

thanks in advance
Jeff

p.s. great board as I would have never found the price of 648 for the 3803

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Will this be more for movies or music? Congrats on getting the deal on the 3803.

Honestly, these speakers are not worthy of a receiver of the level of the 3803, nor are they going to perform well for music, IMO, they are simply too small. I'd work on the wife and try to convince her to go for something a bit larger, though that also is going to mean a bit more expensive. In this price range for the whole set, you will probably want to look at Fluance and Home Theater Direct speakers.

Check for reviews for the JBLs at audioreview.com and cnet.com

Jeff smit

Agent
Thanks for the reply and links. After some more discussion with my better half,we could possibly go with a little bigger in size on the speakers but not much more on the money. so here is the new question? What would you get for a complete set of 6.1 including sub for under $500. I'm totally open to suggestions and would like to hear all suggestions.

thanks
Jeff

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
I think you should defentely check
JBL NSP1II 5-Piece Home-Cinema Speaker Package $209 Very good entry level setup.

and get a separate sub, maybe

DAYTON 10" 100 WATT POWERED SUBWOOFER $125 Seems to be very poplular lately, the reviews say that it sounds pretty decent for its price, its not boomy.
Sony SA-WM500 150 Watt Active Subwoofer $135 Is the replacement of the popular SA-WM40, which last year was one of the favorites in entry level budgets, although is a little boomy, the poly mod helps, and for HT is very good, for music is decent but not the best.
Sony SA-WX700 250 Watt Active Subwoofer $200 This is a new sub from sony, which has twin 10'' drivers. I have this on my second setup, and I also have an SVS25-31PCi, and there is no comparison, but as far of flatness is very close, the only thing that is missing IMO is output, it doesnt have the streght of the SVS or the capability of reaching that low. But overall IMO is a good buy inside the $200 range.
JBL PB12 12" Powered Subwoofer $200 Very good sub for the money, but it has a amp faling history, some say that JBL fix it with the new batches, but I still see people complaining from time to time, but out of their reliability, I think this is one of the best $200 range.

I think with shipping and cables you will be inside the $500 range. But I aslo agree with Johns comment, that the 3803 will be to much of a reciever for this setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks