What's new

JBL SCS150SI vs. Bose AM-10 (1 Viewer)

Scott_AH

Stunt Coordinator
I headed to Best Buy the other day to have a look around and started comparing the pre-packaged surround speakers they carry. Luckily it was right after they had opened (before the store volume hits 80db's) and I was able to really listen to some of their systems. I don't have a lot of experience in the audio part of home theater and was wondering if any other people here would agree with me that the JBL SCS150SI package outperforms the Bose AM-10's? I listened to both HT and musical sources on the systems and was happier with the JBLs in both cases. Next, I listened to each system from a couple aisles away (a weird test to be sure but I was just curious) and there was absolutely no comparison between the two. The mid to low range in the Bose seemed to die away the moment I left the center of the Bose display--very disappointing. The JBL held it together much better from a distance. My reasons for this test were because I often listen to music from a room adjacent to my home theater area. Anyway, I like the $500 JBLs better than the $1000 Bose system. Anyone care to offer their opinion?

Scott

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
I don't have a lot of experience in the audio part of home theater and was wondering if any other people here would agree with me that the JBL SCS150SI package outperforms the Bose AM-10's?
I think you may find one or two people on this board who agree with you.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Bose has a distinct sound to them that reminds me a lot of the speakers that come built in tvs. It's not like the sound is bad at low levels. It's just I don't like the way the jewel cubes sound when the volume is raised.

If you're going to compare the am-10 with the scs150 then also compare a 5 speaker setup of JBL Northridge speakers because that's what you could get for $1000. IMO, the JBL Northridge (and studio) series speakers will blow away bose in bang per buck.

But if I had to choose between the scs150 and bose am10 with cost no object, then I'd choose the am10. I like bose as a TV speaker or perhaps as an ambient music player, I just wouldn't get them for a home theater or for any critical music listening.

BillMorrow

Auditioning
If you decide on the SCS150SI, I suggest buying somewhere else than BB. I bought the speaker set from BestPriceAudioVideo.com before delivered. The price, in the door, was $358.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Do a search on "Bose" in the Speakers/Subwoofers section of this forum. You will find a long list of threads stating all the reasons that Bose are overpriced and underperforming.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
I've always thought that the JBL SCS speakers were the best example of Bose AM-beaters out there. Anytime the "I hate Bose" threads manage to uncover a Bose defender or two the only reasonable argument they have is "its all about size". But usually its stated something like "Okay then, smarty-pants, show me one set of speakers that's the same size as the Bose cubes and sounds better and costs less". At this point (if I'm still bothering to read) I'll point out the great SCS135 system that my parents have. Not audiophile quality by any means, but decent sound from speakers virtually the same size as Bose and cost 1/3 as much.

The satellite speakers are teeny-tiny but rather than using full-range drivers, the JBL actually has a seperate midrange and tweeter. The center has 2 midranges, MTM-style. Plus they don't use gimmicky direct/reflected sounds to "enhance" imaging - they let the recording engineer and the receiver's DD/DTS decoder do their work.

The SCS150 gets a 10" powered sub instead of the 8" powered sub and the satellites get dual midrange MTM treatment, like the SCS135's center channel. But that means that they're physically larger than the SCS135 sats and the Bose cubes. If you absolutely must match the size of the Bose cubes then get the SCS135.

I'd even consider using two of the TRIO135 kits (2 sats and 1 center each) and adding the $100 DLS 10 inch powered sub from Parts Express. At MSRP this would be $200 less than a Bose AM-6 and would likely outperform the AM-15. Throw in the fact that you'd have a full 6.1 speaker system vs the 5.1 Bose's and the fact that the JBL's can be had for well under MSRP and this comparo borders on the edge of silly.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
JBL SCS speakers are great!!! I actually have the SCS135. I really like them. They are a great set of speakers for the price. Ryan, you said that they sound decent. I honestly think that they sound really good. When I was watching Minority Report in DTS, I could literally FEEL the bass from stun guns during the car factory fight!!! In fact, the people I was watching it with felt it too. If you can get the SCS150, then go for it. Otherwise, the SCS135 is great for the price.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Its all relative. "Decent" is actually very good for a complete 5.1 speaker system that can be had for, what, $300 - $350.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks