1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

JBL SCS 135 Speaker Package and what receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Isaac K, Jun 8, 2002.

1. Isaac K

Isaac K Stunt Coordinator

I'm a college student looking to put together an inexpensive yet decent home theater system. I was thinking about ordering the JBL SCS 135 Speaker Package as I can get it for under $300 shipped online. I listened to the set in a retail store and was pretty impressed. I was wondering what entry level receiver would go well with these speakers. Keep in mind I am on a pretty tight budget and this system does not need to go to insane volume levels, as it will be in medium to small rooms. Any recommendations for receivers and/or speaker packages would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

I've heard and read good things about Denon and Pioneer. This is the receiver I will be getting (probably this fall, unless something newer comes out by then) and you can probably find it for under $400 online.
    http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...VR1602&o=m&a=0
    As I said, I've read good things about Pioneer models, such as this:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...SXD711&o=m&a=0
    I don't know of anything cheaper that will bring good-excellent sound quality. I heard that lower end Sony's (for example) don't fair well with the advertised power. The two I've listed should be a start, anyway. [​IMG]

3. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

The Harman Kardon AVR125 or AVR225 are a perfect match and both will give you incredble "bang for your buck".

JBL and Harman Kardon actually combined these with a 5 dvd changer in one of their JBL HT systems.

Look online and you can find the recievers for low pricing.

John Casler

4. Isaac K

Thank you John and Adam for the advice!

5. David Ison

David Ison Stunt Coordinator

i would suggest the pioneer vsx-d811s,has all the bells and whistles,easy to upgrade(POWER AMP).can be had for less than 300.00 on line.

6. Derek Baker

Derek Baker Stunt Coordinator

I have the JBL HT set up with the Pioneer VSXD711 and it sounds great.

I think they match each other very well and as said before - you really cannot go wrong with this setup vs. value for money.

7. LowellG

LowellG Stunt Coordinator

Are you totally sold on that speaker package, or are you willing to consider something else? For the same amount of money, $500, you can get a Kenwood HTB 505, or an Onkyo HTS650.
    If you are looking at a speaker separate receiver. At least give the Hometheater direct Level 1's a try. It's a $150 bucks for the 5.1 set. I just bought a pair of Level 1's for my surrounds and they are very good. They are not the greatest looking, but they sound good. I have heard the JBL 135 set and the HTD sound better, not as tinny, or tiny. They are much larger if size is a concern. However, HDT offers a 30-day money back guarantee even on the shipping. Here is there website www.hometheaterdirect.com
    I would at least consider these other options. Take it from somebody who feels like they have made an expensive mistake. I have only just started building a system. I bought a Yamaha RX-V530 and Def Tech SM350's for up front and the HDT Level 1's for surrounds for now. I am running in phantom center mode and a cheap 8" 60W Aiwa sub. Part of me wishes I had just bought the Onkyo and taken the, this is good enough approach. By the time I finish my Def Tech system at is will cost me between $2000-$2500. I don't know if it will sound 4-5 times better than an Onkyo 650.
    Edit: I forgot to add the Yamaha YHT-500 to the HTB choices. I would really recommend one of these for your situation and I would go with the Onkyo or Kenwood. Big speakers, in the cheap set-ups tend to give you better sound. If size is a concern, look at the Yamaha.

8. Isaac K

Thanks to all who gave advice!

LowellG: I'm not totally sold on those speakers so I'll look into the options you listed. I guess my main question would be will the JBL set plus a decent receiver be better sounding than the Kenwood HTB or the Onkyo one?

9. LowellG

LowellG Stunt Coordinator

"my main question would be will the JBL set plus a decent receiver be better sounding than the Kenwood HTB or the Onkyo one? "

I would say no, but it's just my opinion. I base it on the cabinet size of the Kenwood and Onkyo systems. I have listened to the Onkyo and the JBL SCS 135's, not the Kenwood. I would go for the Onkyo in a heartbeat. I have seen Circuit City and other places running it on special for $450. You can't beat it for that price plus you have the return option from buying at a B&M. There will be pleanty of specials coming up on Father's Day and 4th of July, I am sure you could pick it up for $450.

If you really want to go separate,try the HTD Level 1's. $150 plus a $200 receiver, great deal. You could go the $150 plus a $350 receiver and upgrade speakers later on if $500 is your budget. I would seriously recommend going to listing to the Onkyo or Kenwood. Take your favorite CD's and DVD and go listen.

10. Isaac K

Thanks again for the advice! I'll definitely track down the Onkyo system at Circuit City to listen to.