What's new

JBL scs-135 and Yamaha htr-5440 (1 Viewer)

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
Hey guys, I'm new to HT and these boards so I've got a few somewhat specific questions. I'd appreciate any help.

1. I've already put my surround sound speakers on backorder. They should be arriving mid march. I chose the JBL scs-135 set. Is this a good choice? I was considering the nsp1, but I only have 3 1/4" space on top of my tv for the center channel. I could put the N-center on top of the tv cabinet, but that would be 8 feet off the ground so I was worried about that acoustically (good, bad?) I got the set for $220 and I could have gotten the nsp1's for $230. How'd I do?

2. For a receiver i'm leaning towards the Yamaha HTR-5440. Would it work well with the scs-135 set? My only worry is that the 5440's LFE output is 90hz and below (i think?). The JBL center and sattilite's specs say that they go down to 200hz. Is this as bad as i fear or is it just a small fault? Would routing the LFE signal to the mains, turning off the subwoofer option on the receiver, and connecting the the mains through the sub help (i don't know the technical term for this type of wiring)? Lastly, is dialog common below 200hz?

3. ok ok, just one more question. would JBL n24 speakers pair well as mains with the rest of the scs-135 set? I hope to eventually get a pair of them so I can use the RCA sub out. (they go down to 75hz)

sorry about the length and thanks in advance

VinhT

Second Unit
1. You can read reviews on your speaker set at http://www.audioreview.com/Main,Spea...8_1594crx.aspx and a quick glance at the rating would seem to indicate that it's a very capable package. Your center channel placement is good since dialogue needs to be locked to the screen. If you had gotten the NSP-1 set, you wouldn't have a subwoofer, so I think you made a sound decision based on your budget.
2. Solution: Connect surround and center speakers normally. Connect sub to the receiver's subwoofer pre-out with an RCA cable. Go to the receiver settings and set speaker sizes to small. Change the crossover setting to 200Hz(if it has that setting, 150Hz is the usual upper bound). Otherwise, conecting the mains through the subwoofer should work, but I'm not familiar with the crossover options of your sub, so I can't confirm.
3. Generally, you want all of your speakers to be the same, but I've never tried that particular combination so can't comment.
Good luck! :)

LowellG

Stunt Coordinator
I am not sure if you are asking for advice, or telling us what you have on order.

If you are asking for advice, I would also look at the Denon DHT 682XP, It's a Denon 1602 Receiver and a 6 speaker set up. The Speakers have 4" woofers and 1" tweeters, and a 6" sub. It retails at $700 and can be pricematched at Sears for around $550.

There is also the Onkyo HTS490. An Onkyo 494 receiver with 6 speakers as well. The speakers have 3.5" woofers and 1" tweeters, and a 6.5" sub. It retails for $500, on-line for $400.

There is also the famed Kenwood 544. Kenwood 509 receiver, not sure on the speakers, and an 8" sub.

It looks like your configuration would cost about the same. That JBL setup has 3" woofers and .5" tweeters and a 8" sub.

If you have already ordered, I'm sure you will be happy with your system as well. I was just unclear of your post.

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure I can't adjust the frequency of the LFE on the yamaha htr-5440. I think i'm just gonna use the other half of my AR audio cable (one side for digital coax) for the sub. I'll be missing out on 90-200hz but I plan to upgrade my mains to the n24 (they should timber match the scs center because they both feature a titanium laminate tweeter) so that will take care of that problem. The one question that still remains is whether I would be missing a lot of dialog out of the center channel that can only go down to 200hz.

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
is there anyway to route the center channels low frequency to the sub? i know i can set it to small. but that will only route 90hz and under to the sub. I need to send 200hz and under to the sub. Can I wire the center through the sub and have the sub connected to the RCA sub out at the same time?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks