What's new

JBL S38's vs. B&W303's(and thier HT mag review) (1 Viewer)

jonathanR

Stunt Coordinator
Hello:
I'm trying to pick out some speakers for a friend, he has a denon 3802 and no room or budget for tower speakers. I read the nov.HT magazine review for the B&W 303's and they gave them a 95 performance rating. They only carry these at a local high-end shop, but I never gave a thought to give them a listen too.
I have an onkyo 787, Jbl's s-38's up front, s-center, s-26 for surrounds and an svs setup. Hmmmmm so how do you guys think the b&w 303's all around would compare against my setup? Thanks for the help.
John

Jon_R

Stunt Coordinator
So you're the guy that is JonthanR! I knew we'd meet one day! Jon_R works well enough for me. :)
Anyway, B&W don't seem to get a lot of love on this forum. Most of the time people recommend the same things, nOrh or paradigm. I myself prefer B&W. I don't own any, long story about what I do own, but I have listened to them and they are really nice.
The 303s are a pretty good speaker, great for the money. I really like the 601s, but for entry stuff the 303 is good. I happen to have read that review and I'd say I can agree with it.
Will they sound better than your JBL setup? Quite frankly, most probably. JBL is more mainstream, while B&W is of a more niche audiophile market. However, they are low end B&W so the speakers IMO are not that different. Keep in mind all around 303s will be seamless, and matched with a good sub would no doubt really rock.
I'm very interested in which you do prefer, so I hope you get to demo them, or your friend buys the B&W setup and you compare.
Keep us posted,
Jon_R

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
I heard a pair of 303's Monday for the first time. They were on a A/B switch with a pair of 602/S2's. They really sounded good for the $!! I still preferred the sound of the 602's (I have a pair of at home), but for $300 I don't think you could go wrong at all with the 303's. I may eventually get a pair for my computer room!
Pete

Ed C

Stunt Coordinator
I A/B'd the 303s with the 601s. They sounded very similar with the 601s coming in a bit fuller. It's a great speaker for the price.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
For $150 each, I don't think the B&W DM303 can be touched. The discontinued NHT Super One gave them a run for their money, but now that they're gone, I'd probably get 5 B&W DM303s for a budget home theater. Mate these with a decent receiver (the Onkyo 595 would be my choice) a decent sub (the Energy 8" or 10" for example) and you've got a killer HT audio system for around $1500.
------------------
"Home is where the theater is!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks