What's new

JBL S38II Speaker Placement? (1 Viewer)

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Well my S38's arrived today so I thought I'd ask a couple of questions about placement. Do those of you that have these set them vertically or horizontally? Do you use a speaker stand or just have them sitting on the floor? If stands, which ones? I was also thinking of building my own stands and was wondering what the optimal height would be?

Thanks for any advice. I haven't had a chance to hear them yet since my receiver hasn't shown up yet, but I really like the look of them. They are a bit bigger than I was expecting though, but not in a bad way.

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
John,
Firstly congratulations on your purchase, I'm sure you'll enjoy them as much as I enjoy mine :)
As for your questions:
Optimal height for any speaker is so the tweeter is about ear level. Sometimes to get it closer to the level of the center channel you compramise about, but ear level is ballpark. This basically requires the S38's to be on stands. I have mine on a pair of MetalTech (aka WoodTech) TMT-30 metal stands filled with some regular play sand. The S38's should definately be placed on their side for proper imaging, as described in the manual. The tweeter baffle is optimized for horizontal dispersion, and you would likely get lobbing effects if the tweeter and midrange were side-by-side anyways.
Also, if you're a die-hard tweaker you might want to search for a recent thread on upgrading the crossover network of S26's. The same info would be useful for upgrading the S38's crossover. I haven't had the time or patience to do it myself yet but am planning on it "eventually" ;)

Hope this helps :)
-- Dave

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I have them placed horizontally and on the top of my audio racks. I bought self-adhesive rubber bumper pads and placed them on the corners to elevate them from the shelving.

Enjoy!

Drew_W

Screenwriter
I actually have these things vertical about a foot and a half from the celing on bookshelves in my parents room. If you pull on the JBL nameplace thingy, you can actually pull it out and rotate it.

The large cabinet allows for great bass reproduction, and for stereo listening, these things are absolutely fantastic. Hope you enjoy them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks