Jbl S38

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Mike:Corb, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Mike:Corb

Mike:Corb Stunt Coordinator

I have built a HT system for my dorm and have a ventriloquist system already, I am very happy with the STF-2 but I am looking for a little more then sats can offer. I don't have enough money to purchase a pure bookshelf 5.1 setup. So I am wondering how the JBL S38's just as 2 fronts channels with my STF-2 would sound for movies. I would return the ventrioquist system if I did that. I also was thinking this wouldn't be a bad idea so I wouldn't have cords draping all around my dorm for the rears or anything. What do you guys think. Also can the S38's be driven by a HK225?

2. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

Presenting each side:

A. While the S38IIs are great, if you're very happy with your current set-up, are you sure you want to lose the ability to listen in 5.1?

B The S38IIs are excellent speakers; they're very well-built and provide great sound, but:

* The size issue - they are very large for "bookshelf" speakers, and are quite hefty at just under 30 pounds a piece. You'll need shelves/stands that can hold these up safely/securely.

* JBL recommends that these be placed horizontally. Personally, I can't do that with my room situation, yet they still sound marvelous placed vertically. Your mileage may vary, depending on your room set-up.

* They are very dynamic speakers, with crisp highs and deep, tight low-end. I hope you like bass. [​IMG]

* I know you said budget was an issue in the prior post, but you may want to get the JBL S-Center ($117 at onecall.com), since it's the center from the same S-series and, like the S38IIs, it is also discontinued, so when it's gone, it's gone. (update: onecall just emailed me saying that while they have a fair amount of S38s left, they don't have much more in the way of S-Centers)

I couldn't tell you 100% about the HK225 and the JBLs, but I'm pretty positive they would make a fine match.

3. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Just to add a little........... if you decide to go with the S38, then I'd definitely go with the S-center also. The Center is the heart of any HT system and the S-center is very good .........
    Personally, I have had a S-center for about 3 years and it matches up well with my old JBL L100 and although I've bought (and sold) several different speaker setups, the S is still my preference. Strong and detailed......
    The JBLs should push quite well with the HK you mentioned as they are fairly efficient........ Good luck with which ever you do..........