JBL S38 with My Sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeDierbeck, May 1, 2002.

1. MikeDierbeck

MikeDierbeck Agent

Hi,

I just ordered the JBL S38 Series II speakers and they should be arriving late this week or early next week.

I've heard that these sound really good with a good subwoofer. I don't have enough money for a new subwoofer right now, so I want to know how my current subwoofer will match up with these S38 Bookshelf speakers.

Here are the specs

JBL TLX-PS12 Powered Subwoofer

Amplifier Power (RMS) 120 watts

Driver: 12-inch High-Polymer Laminate

Inputs: Line-Level and Speaker Level

Outputs: High Level with High Pass Filter at 180Hz

Crossver Frequency (continuously variable) 50-150Hz

Frequency Response (-6dB) 23Hz to (90-150Hz)

There, is this a good subwoofer that will give me excellent results for now? I have the JBL S Center II speaker right now and will have the S38 II brand this week.

What should I set my crossover at for the S38?

What should I set my crossover at for my JBL S Center II?

Thanks for ANY help, I'll appreciate it immensely.

Mike

2. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Mike - if you can, let your AV Receiver (you didn't mention the model) handle all the x-over functions, ... its automatically done once you attach the the sub cable from the ... AV Receiver Sub OUT --> JBL TXL-PS12 LINE-IN

Set all the HT Speaker Sizes = Small.

Your JBL TLX-PS12 will integrate just fine after you perform your REFERENCE Calibration. If you can disable (turn-off) your Subs internal crossover, do that! If you can't disable it, then dial it to its MAX setting so it does not interfere with your AV Receivers x-over.

Phil

3. MikeDierbeck

MikeDierbeck Agent

Hi

I have an STR-DE975 from Sony, and I'll have to see how I have my current subwoofer hooked up. I have set the crossover on the sub itself all the way to 150Hz.

Now, with my receiver, I can individually set the crossover for each speaker. Should I still connect it the way you mentioned or should I manually set each crossover. I set the crossover for all of my speakers at 80Hz, but I've heard that with good front speakers, like the JBL S38, you should set the crossover to about 50Hz or a little higher.

Any suggestions?

Mike

4. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

What's the -3dB point of the S38? Your crossover point should not be below that. In fact, many people say that for good integration, your crossover should be a full octave above your speaker's -3dB point. This is usually not practical with most bookshelf speakers (since most subwoofers don't go that high), and for HT it is much less of a concern anyway. I believe DD or DTS or THX or something specifies an 80 Hz crossover point, and I think it's for all channels.

If I were you, I would play with various settings, listen to them for a week or so, and then stick with whatever sounds best.