1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

JBL S38--speaker setting "large" or "small"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TonyTone, Oct 20, 2002.

1. TonyTone

TonyTone Supporting Actor

Notwithstanding as to how well the S38s sound to my ears after calibration, should they ideally--if not initially--be configured as "large" or "small" speakers in the receiver setting? When I set them as "small" in my Sony DA4ES receiver, the bass output is very minimal--almost as if the speakers were functioning as small satellite surrounds; however, when set to "large" there is noticeable bass output. This finding sorta flies against the given rule of thumb that only tower speakers should be set to "large".

Given that I am also running a sub and will be using my HT setup primarily for movies--should I configure the S38 as "small" or "large"? Just wondering, since I reckon that if I set them to "small" in my particular setup I wouldn't be making best use of the S38s as far as acoustical output is concerned...

On a similar note--would the JBL S-Center be considered a "small" or "large" speaker?

Thanks!

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Small and large where very poor choices for the name of this particular function on processors. There are very very few speakers I wouldn't set to small in a HT setup. Rather than rehash it here Brian Florian did an excellent job explaining what is going on over at AVS. Here is a link to where I quoted it in another thread on HTF:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...537#post739537
    The first little bit pertains more to the thread it came from but is worth reading anyways.

3. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Excellent link Dustin.

In short, the best quality sound is usually achieved when you set all speakers to small. This rerouts bass information to your subwoofer, which probably produces better quality bass than your other speakers. Removing bass information from speakers also reduces distortion and lets them play clearer and louder, since the amplifier and speaker are strained much less.