JBL S38 or similar for stereo setup

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Ben LG, Aug 23, 2003.

1. Ben LG

Ben LG Stunt Coordinator

My Infinity and Marantz setup is not cutting it anymore for the music Ive been listening to recently (Evanescence, hard rock etc.). I bought the SR6200 AV reciever and DV4300 dvd player less than two months ago so I will be keeping those but I would like to switch my Infinity speakers to ones that are more "hard-hitting" and lively. The Infinity and Marantz combo produce a very smooth and detailed sound but lacks a bit in the midrange, especially for this type of music.

I checked out Sound & Vision and Stereophiles review of the JBL S38's and it got me interested, especially for the price they have them for at J&R so I will probably go check them out. Any other bookshelves that you guys would recommend to take a look at in the same price range as the S38's or for a bit more? Also, what stands are you guys using for the S38's (want to stay under $100 for stands plus space is a important factor since it will be used in a 12 x 12 room). Last, will placing the S38's in a upright position rather than the intended horizontal position alter its performance in any way? I use my system mainly for 50% music and the other 50% for live concert DVDs with the occasional dvd movie.

2. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

The JBL S38 does represent a great value for stereo and for HT... I used the original S38 for my brothers HT/stereo setup and they just seem to get better and better. The mid-range is a strong point of the S38 but they do all the ranges pretty good. I didn't note any difference in them regardless of vert or horiz positioning. Being front ported, they do well in a bookshelf too.
    I am an old JBL fan and own a pair of the L100 from the 70's. I have found nothing, including the newer JBL, that comes close to the power and drive these speakers have. If you could find a nice pair of those or the 43** series, you'd have killer stereo and hard to beat in your face sound. I use mine for my mains in HT but if I wanna rock, I just run them 2 channel.... that's when they still amaze me.