What's new

JBL S38-IIs doing PC speaker duty (1 Viewer)

Shane Morales

Second Unit

Shane Morales

Second Unit
I'm powering them with a Klipsch 2.1 sub. They don't get nearly as loud as when they're powered by a receiver, but they're loud enough, definately. As close as I am sitting in front of them I haven't had to turn up the volume more than half way (from the one klipsch speaker, which has the volume control on it).

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
S38IIs: :emoji_thumbsup:

Awesome speakers. I have a pair in my office, connected to a receiver which is connected to a computer as a music server. Overkill? I think not.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Speaking of Overkill...

Welcome to the club. Here are some S38s I built some custom bookshelf stands for my PC, Notice the cpu desk to the left and blue mouse pad. Of course these didn't suffice for long, even after I upgraded the crossover to high quality capacitors and resistors.

Oh, and the current overkill PC setup.. is this:

Room Layout

The Bass traps, one in each corner

The Subwoofer pyramids and floorstanding AV3

Not many PCs have dual 214L tempests tuned to 15.4hz, floorstanding speakers and S38 surrounds. Complete with four 4' high bass traps (16" diameter) and four 2'x4'acoustical panels. I've got egg crate foam on the back wall, and 1/2" thick sound deadening boards adding to the room acoustics.

Of course it's as quiet as a church, but I love it.

What's funny is 3 of my closest friends have similar setups with DIY speakers like Jordans, AV1s and amps for their PCs. One guy went tube amps, the other went DIY chip amps. I won in bass output and having the least slap echo. heh

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
The S38s provide well equalized, and smooth sounding music. The AV3s on the other hand, sound even more smooth which make vocals sound like silk, and reduces any grain or coarse sounds from the tracks. This is likely due to the paper cone woofer which has a more natural sound than the polypro cones of the S38s.

The S38s may be better at rock type music because they have a more lively sound quality likely due to the metal dome tweeter. Highs have a little more sizzle to them.

The AV3s greatly excel in mid range, and when listening side by side, the S38s sound like they have a blanket over them. For Jazz and classical instruments the AV3s win hands down.

For loud party music, the S38s are just as enjoyable as the AV3s.

For Home Theater, the S38s remind me more of a commercial theater while the AV3s have a more realistic home theater sound.

Shane Morales

Second Unit
By golly! Y'all are freaks!

Chris, do you play games on that setup? I'm having fantasies of multiplayer Quake III rumbling like all hell broken loose out of those speakers and subs. Beyond words...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks