JBL S38 II size

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad A, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Brad A

Brad A Agent

I just got a pair of JBL S38's as my mains...I have an Onkyo TX-SR600 receiver..Under "Speaker Configuration" should I set the speaker size to Small or Large ??? (Seems to me there should be a medium option)

2. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

Small if you have a sub, large if you don't.

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

What Tony said. The choice of words here is very poor. I'd still set great big towers to small if I had a good sub. Small just means the crossover is used and the lowpass is sent to the sub. Large means the crossover isn't used and nothing goes to the sub (except the LFE channel).

4. Joe Sabato

Joe Sabato Auditioning

Set them to small, I have S38's and have tried them both ways (using 2 subs), the extra "headroom" you get by not pushing the woofer in the S38 translates to cleaner sound at high volumes.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The size setting has less to do with the physical size of the speaker, but rather the frequencies it is capable of. This setting simply determines where bass below a certain point is sent. To add to what Tony said, without a sub, setting the speakers to small will do you no good, and in most cases is not even possible.

6. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I had mine on "Large" for a long time, until I acquired an SVS sub. Getting an SVS sub also educated me on what constitutes "boomy" bass. So I agree with the post that says to set to "Small" if you have a good sub.

7. Brad A

Brad A Agent

Thanks for all the replys...I guess I have a decent sub...Sony SA-WM40

8. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    The Sony is the sub I had before the SVS. Ultimately it comes down to your preference and I still have varying preferences for sub placement. It seems no matter where I have the sub I can localize it, so up front with the mains is usually best. I read somewhere that if other sources are putting out bass then bass in general is harder to localize. Hence I had my speakers set to large. It also seemed to be the best compromise between music and DVDs.