What's new

JBL S36 vs S38 (1 Viewer)

Hey guys. I'm upgrading my sony HT in-a-box with a JBL S-center and either S36's or S38's for my mains. Also, I am building an Adire Tempest DIY subwoofer with a 250W PE amp.

One more thing, I am at college and live in a small apartment. My couch is probably only 6-8' away from the TV (or mains).

The S36 doesn't quite go as low (60Hz vs. 45Hz), but I'm thinking my new sub will handle any and all bass. I was all set to buy the S38's, but then I discovered the S36's. I like the fact that I can mount them on my walls, and that they are a couple bucks cheaper. Of course I'd have to use that extra $$ to buy my wall brackets.

Both come highly recommended, but the S36's are more often quoted as good surrounds. Do you think they are fairly even? If that is the case, then I might go with the S36's b/c I can mount them. OR if the S38's are superior, I have no problem sticking to my origional plan and purchasing them.

Thanks!

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
There actually isn't an S36, it's an S26.
It actually means that the speaker is a 2-way speaker, instead of a 3-way speaker. So it has a tweet and a mid, while the S38 has a Mid a tweet and a woof.
They would be fine for surrounds, but not as mains.
Go with the S38.
Sam

Marcelo T

Stunt Coordinator
Go with the s38 as mains. They have better mid-bass. I use a s26 as sorrounds and they work great.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Sam, you are incorrect about the s36. JBL came out with that speaker within the past 6 months or so, mainly as a surround alternative. It is a 3 way design with the same tweeter and midrange used in the s38, however it is in a smallish plastic cabinet made for wall mounting.

As for which speaker to buy, I would go with the s38 as far as mains. They are much fuller sounding, and have the extra extension the s36 just cannot muscle. As a matter of fact, the s26, the 2 way speakers ultilizing a 6 in woofer, go lower then the s36 due to their larger non-plastic enclousures.

I would go s38s for the fronts and then the s36 or s26 for the surrounds.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks