JBL S312 vs Ascend CBM-170's + HUS or SVS sub - Opinions please.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Kevin_Breeze, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Kevin_Breeze

Kevin_Breeze Second Unit

Well I decided to get my HK fixed and I am debating selling the JBL's and getting the Ascend's with a sub.

I am really intrigued by the reviews of the CBM-170's as well as the HSU and SVS subs (i would get one or the other)and really interested in going to the sub/satellite type setup in place of my large towers but curious what some of you guys think if its not worth it or if I may even be dissapointed since the JBL's are pretty formidable for the price range

I have a feeling I won't be able to play the Ascend's quite as loud but I am hoping for a little better SQ. Not that I dislike the JBL's but I am looking into an upgrade to get an even better sound, particularly a little more balance, fuller sound at lower volumes which I know good sub will do.

For the record, I watch a lot of DVDs and listen to a lot of music too which is mostly rock, light to hard, acoustical and electric and I love a real clean accurate sound on the warmer side with nice full balanced and accurate bass. Living room size is about 13X20.

2. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

How loud do you want to get?

Where are you located? There are Ascend owners willing to demo the speakers.

3. Kevin_Breeze

Kevin_Breeze Second Unit

Long Island, NY (Suffolk County.

As far as how loud, well I usually don't go below 20 on the volume setting on the AVR7000. One time we had it down to like 5 or something cranking Ozzy lol, and I think things started to strain and I got clipping in the left speaker (same channel that is now not working on the HK), but most of the time I listen in the 25-35 range. Its just fun once in a blue moon to "crank it" but it's not neccesary by any means.

4. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Without knowing the actual measurement on an SPL meter it would be tough to tell. I doubt you would have problems though.

There are willing Ascend owners in NY:
    http://www.ascendforum.com/forum/top...25&whichpage=1

And shipping a pair back from NY should be about $25 if you do the 30 day trial.

5. Kevin_Breeze

Kevin_Breeze Second Unit

Thanks Curtis.

I don't understand this not being able to list your equipment in signature?? This is the first forum i have ever seen that. It's very helpful for people to know your equipment with most postings IMO.

EDIT: Oh,ok. I just read the guidelines and it makes perfect sense why not to list the equipment but on other boards I am not positive but I was pretty sure signature text was excluded from searches. I would think some fairly simply programing could eliminate that so we could see what people have as a great reference point in their posts and so people don't have to conbstantly state what they have over and over...oh well. DOn't mean to complain, other than that this place is great! very professional and friendly.

Anyhow, back to the post topic. hopefully I can get some more opinions b/c I can't seem to decide. I might just buy them and do the demo, but the subwoofer would be a lot to ship back I'd assume....