What's new

JBL S310 versus S38 , BOTH with powered sub (1 Viewer)

Gary.Blevins

Agent
Greets,
Is there any reason to get the S310's over the S38's if I have a 15" powered sub? ( and S-CenterII center channel) I am not sure if I will be able to audition them both. I generally run 75% to 25%, Video to Music.

TIA,

Gary

Gary.Blevins

Agent
Thanks Angelo,
I currently have older Bose floor models, so I was originally looking only at the S310's. I am looking for the best sound and timbre matching with the S-CenterII. If I can save some $$ by getting the 38's, great, but I don't want to sacrifice output.

Gary

Gary.Blevins

Agent
No other opinions?

Just looking for the best option music and HT wise between the two speakers: S310 and S38.

Gary

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Gary - you've got email and I recommend the S38's.

As long as your 15" powered sub is carefully integrated in your HT room and REF Calibrated, ... then it should sound glorious with the JBL S38's - Winner of the prestigious Innovations 2000 Design and Engineering Awards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA).

Phil

GregAV

Agent
Well, I have a pair of S38's and am extremely pleased with the sound quality. Without a subwoofer, DVD playback is still thoroughly enjoyable with crisp vocals and deep mellow bass(LotR is...amusing:).

To my untrained ear, musical quality with rock/techno/acoustic/classical was excellent.

I picked up my 38's for about $320 shipped , can't really see a reason you'd "need" to spend the extra cash on the 310's.

I'm running low buck,PC DVD to a 20" monitor, audio handled by a hercules fortissimo to an amplified Fosgate DSL Two. Not an expert by any means, but man - you wanted opinions.

Good luck,
Greg

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Gary:

Let us know how it goes w/ the S38's. You'll probably want to set them up horizontally, like the studio monitors they are based on. They're great speakers.

Gary.Blevins

Agent
Thanks for all the help!

As soon as I make up my mind over the S38 in cherry or beach (we have light Scandinavian furniture,)I will be placing the order. Probably tonight.

BTW, I pulled the grill on my new Tosh 50HDX, and saw that the "high end" speakers were both paper coned, with the 6" drivers sporting an old "whizzer" cone as well! SWEET...at least my 53"XBR200 has poly drivers!

I would hope that the S-center will give a better sound than these! :D

I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks