JBL s26 vs. s38 thread....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd Christ, Jan 5, 2003.

1. Todd Christ

Todd Christ Stunt Coordinator

so - i know this has been hashed about a hundred times over, but I went to BestBuy today and figured while the kids were muckin with the Gamecubes and PS2's - I'd finally get a chance to go "listen" to these demos...

I have been really thinking of 2 S38's for mains and 2 s26's for rears (in a 5.1 setup) with a S-Center... after listening, i'm not really sure I liked the S38's!??!?!

my kids came over and hear them, and liked the 26's better?!?!... the S26 seemed MUCH brighter and crisp on the mid/upper range... of course they didnt' do much in the low end, but when i turned on the subwoofer - it didn't really matter.

I have been a bit concerned about the size of the S38's as well, but i think they'll fit fine atop my new Entertainment Center... the S26's would fit no issue.

so what's everyone's take? are the 26's actually "Brighter" speakers?

2. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

It makes sense that the smaller speaker would be brighter. I am considering useing 5 S38IIs 1 for all 5 positions, One thing I have noticed with small speakers some of them can get pretty thin around 80-100hz and nowdays crossing over at 80hz, as in my case all of a sudden my sound is a little thin in those regions, I thought the 38s might "fatten" it up a little and give me a little warmer sound.

3. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

Don't they have the exact same tweeter?

4. Joe Sabato

Joe Sabato Auditioning

I have S38's and an S Center up front and S36's as surrounds and I am happy with the setup. I was going to buy S26's for the rear, but the sound matchup was better with S36's also being 3 ways. As far as being "bright and crisp"., the S38's are bright and crisp in my room which is very "dead"; if you listen at the levels that I listen at (avg 95 db) and the S26's sound much brighter, they would be irritating in a home setting, but these things are personal.

Being 50+ and listening to music loud for many years, I know I am missing some "highs" and the S38's still sound bright enough to me.

5. Todd Christ

6. James Zubb

James Zubb Stunt Coordinator

I am pretty sure all the studio line has the same tweeter. The S26 sounds a bit brighter to me, mostly because I think the 38 has more lowend punch, that is why I bought the S38. [​IMG]
    The crossover on the S26 is 2000Hz, the top on the S38 is 3200Hz. So the tweeter is driving more frequencies on the S26. Might be the reason? I am no expert so I may be barking up the wrong tree.
    Regardless you should really get the one that sounds good to you.

7. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Good thread! I have been contemplating getting some JBL studio series speakers myself to go with my new setup. I know a good deal about DD, DTS, widescreen and such, but am not very knowledgable about speakers at all. The one question I have is what is the distinction between a two way speaker and a three way? I was thinking about getting the S Center, S36's for the surrounds, and S310's as the mains. The sub is a SVS 20-39 CS with Samson 700 watt amp. The reciever is a Denon 2802. Would anyone be able to explain the difference between a 2 way and 3 way speakers? Thanks.

8. Jose T

Jose T Stunt Coordinator

I would go with the S-36 instead of the S-26. You could even consider the 36's all the way around. They have more punch then the 26's. They are 3 way as well. I like the sound of the S-38 but the horizontal placment casued me to go with the floorstanders S-310 in my first H/T set up. The best Buy set up isn't always the best to listen to music etc. Beleive me I've been there testing the same speakers. These are good speakers in that price range. You could even do better searching on the net for these. Much better if you decide on any of the Studio series.[​IMG]

9. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

So, either JBL S-Series 2-way or 3-way bookshelf speakers would satisfy your auditory senses.
    Phil

10. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

For no particularly good reason other than I love their sound, I'd vote for the S38s. However, extending my logic to your situation, if you prefer the sound of the S26s, don't let anything stop you.

11. Todd Christ

wow - some interesting data to read in here! Thanks Guys!!
    anyone in the Sacramento area have some of these in your HT setup? I'll bring popcorn to the audition! [​IMG]

12. Robert James Clark

Robert James Clark Second Unit

When I was recently considering new speakers, I also listened to the S38's at Best Buy.
    Almost every time I came back preferring the sound of the S36's to the S38's.
    So I bought a pair of each.

Result?

The S38's absolutely blow away the S36's. More air, less congestion, more detail, a more natural timbre presentation, a true "high-end" quality sound.

Moral of the story? Don't trust the sound at Best Buy.

13. Robert James Clark

Robert James Clark Second Unit

Guy Usher wrote:

14. Todd Christ

15. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter