JBL S26 match with N26?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff_Garcia, Dec 23, 2002.

1. Jeff_Garcia

Jeff_Garcia Agent

i am currently in the process of building a JBL home theater. I plan to have the S26 as mains and N26 as surrounds. The center will mostly likely be N-Center. I am in a budget so i really can't afford the whole S Series right now. How would these sound with this type of configuration?

2. MattMB

MattMB Agent

I've the N26 as mains and the N-Center as my center. If you want to use the S26 as mains, get the S-Center, your front sound field would match better. You could then use the N26 as your surrounds and you wouldn't notice too much of a difference between the two surround speakers on pans between the two of them, but you may notice a difference in the sound going from your front sound field to the surrounds.

I'd almost suggest saving your money, not buying the N26s, and using the S26 and S-Center as a 3.0 setup until you could by S26 speakers for the rear of your system as a matched setup. You'll get better sounding transition from front to rear, IMO.

Matt

3. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

I agree w/MattMB - JBL officially stated that the entire …

1) JBL S-Series is voiced-matched with the JBL S-Center

2) JBL N-Series is voiced-matched with the JBL N-Center

So mix and match if you want, … but after using the JBL N24 @ my surround location for 3-days, (until I could get the wall-hanging hardware for my designated surround JBL S26’s), it was very obvious that there was a difference with the sound character voice & presence** between the N-Series ¾” Titanium Laminate Dome vs. S-Series 1” Pure Titanium Dome tweeters.

**DD/DTS-5.1 surround panning effects –
    1) Front to Rear;

2) Left Front crossing to overhead Center panning to Right Surround; etc.

I achieve SEAMLESS **DD/DTS-5.1 surround panning effects with ...

a) JBL NSP1 (four N24 & N-Center) HT Package

b) JBL S26 (four) & S-Center

I moved my JBL NSP1’s packaged up to my vacation house, it as a set, it sounds glorious! (w/200w 15” AudioSource SW15).

Phil

4. Jeff_Garcia

Jeff_Garcia Agent

thanks for the advice guys. i will save money and i'll go for the S series for my whole HT. I just hate to wait a lil longer but im sure it'll pay off in the end when my HT is completed.

5. Robert James Clark

Robert James Clark Second Unit

I have some new JBL S38's and I have just auditioned the S36's to go with them and I can report....

...that they are not a perfect sonic match. (I am extra picky).
    For DVD Audio/SACD I feel it's going to be more and more important to have matched speakers all the way around so I am returning the S36's for 2 more pair of S38's (which are wonderful speakers BTW).

Just my experiences...