What's new

JBL S26 match with N26? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_Garcia

Agent
i am currently in the process of building a JBL home theater. I plan to have the S26 as mains and N26 as surrounds. The center will mostly likely be N-Center. I am in a budget so i really can't afford the whole S Series right now. How would these sound with this type of configuration?

MattMB

Agent
I've the N26 as mains and the N-Center as my center. If you want to use the S26 as mains, get the S-Center, your front sound field would match better. You could then use the N26 as your surrounds and you wouldn't notice too much of a difference between the two surround speakers on pans between the two of them, but you may notice a difference in the sound going from your front sound field to the surrounds.

I'd almost suggest saving your money, not buying the N26s, and using the S26 and S-Center as a 3.0 setup until you could by S26 speakers for the rear of your system as a matched setup. You'll get better sounding transition from front to rear, IMO.

Matt

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
I agree w/MattMB - JBL officially stated that the entire …

1) JBL S-Series is voiced-matched with the JBL S-Center

2) JBL N-Series is voiced-matched with the JBL N-Center

So mix and match if you want, … but after using the JBL N24 @ my surround location for 3-days, (until I could get the wall-hanging hardware for my designated surround JBL S26’s), it was very obvious that there was a difference with the sound character voice & presence** between the N-Series ¾” Titanium Laminate Dome vs. S-Series 1” Pure Titanium Dome tweeters.

**DD/DTS-5.1 surround panning effects –
1) Front to Rear;

2) Left Front crossing to overhead Center panning to Right Surround; etc.

I achieve SEAMLESS **DD/DTS-5.1 surround panning effects with ...

a) JBL NSP1 (four N24 & N-Center) HT Package

b) JBL S26 (four) & S-Center

I moved my JBL NSP1’s packaged up to my vacation house, it as a set, it sounds glorious! (w/200w 15” AudioSource SW15).

Phil

Jeff_Garcia

Agent
thanks for the advice guys. i will save money and i'll go for the S series for my whole HT. I just hate to wait a lil longer but im sure it'll pay off in the end when my HT is completed.

Robert James Clark

Second Unit
I have some new JBL S38's and I have just auditioned the S36's to go with them and I can report....

...that they are not a perfect sonic match. (I am extra picky).
For DVD Audio/SACD I feel it's going to be more and more important to have matched speakers all the way around so I am returning the S36's for 2 more pair of S38's (which are wonderful speakers BTW).

Just my experiences...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks