Jbl S120pii Subwoofer Question

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by RobTauber, Apr 14, 2004.

1. RobTauber

RobTauber Agent

I am relatively new to this hobby, but I feel I have a good system, and just want to tweak it for best performance. RECEIVER-Onkyo TX-DS989, DVD- Pioneer DV43, Front Speakers-Energy C-9, L/R Surround- Energy CR-3, Surround Back-Energy Encore2, Center- PSB Century 2000i, Sub-JBL S120PII. I am running two cables to my sub from the sub outs on the amp, and would like to know if that helps or hurts. Can I use my Sub amp a a power amp or pre amp?

2. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

please explain HOW you are running 2 cables to your amp.

is your subs amp ON the sub box?
    what is your reasoning for asking "Can I use my Sub amp a a power amp or pre amp?" HOW did you WANT to use it?
    its an AMP therefore it can be used as an AMP.

3. RobTauber

RobTauber Agent

Sent PM, not sure if received. Can answer questions, hopefully you can help. Thanks.

4. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

first off - isnt your Onkyo receiver a 7.1 THX EX? wont it have amps for all your speakers but sub?

your subs amp is one channel therefore you can run one speaker - your sub.

according to what I read on the specs for your sub, you can just send one sub out [from onkyo] to sub line in [jbl sub]
    instead of the 2 cables to left in AND right in. just cause you have 2 sub outs doesnt mean its in stereo.

also, may I ask why you wanted an extra amp for your surrounds? is it cause they arent loud enough?
    what is about your system that you do not currently enjoy?

5. RobTauber

RobTauber Agent

Mike SJ

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Local Date and Time:
    April 14th, 2004
    08:44 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, it is 7.1.

A guy at the shop I deal with said I would get better low frequency sound by running both cables.Sounded right to me.I was never told it would be stereo.I believe he mentioned that I would get a wider range of sound.

I thought to get some extra juice, I could use the sub's high level in and out binding posts for my front speakers as a amplifier of some type to get better sound.

I cannot seem to get the sub level set properly. It is either too boomy, or unnoticeable. I have no crossover frequency adjustment on my amp, and I cannot figure how to bypass it and use my subs crossover setting. I thought the level was like a volume control.

I do not like the fact that I cannot get much support from Onkyo or JBL with my problem. Otherwise the system sounds pretty awesome.

6. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

"I believe he mentioned that I would get a wider range of sound."

meaning you would hear higher frequencies? sounds like hes just confusing you.

if you want, you can run your mains [l/r] speaker wires into your sub. the sub will take out the low low bass from those signals and send that to its own amp then it will send the higher frequencies to your mains. Its the same thing that happens in your Onkyo but I think you can change the xover point on the Onkyo. But that is what the binding posts on the sub is for. and yes the sub is a one channel amp.

if you lived anywhere near KC id almost come over and help setup. I know how frustrating this can be.

did I answer your ? or confuse you more?

7. RobTauber

RobTauber Agent

I am on track I think. I know that there is nowhere to set the X-over. I would have to get the Upgrade from Onkyo, which I am still waiting to hear from!

If I am getting you, here is what I should have:

RECEIVER - FRONT L/R - (+,-) out to

SUBWOOFER - High Level in L/R - (+,-)

SUBWOOFER - High Level out L/R - (+-) out to

SPEAKER - L/R (+,-)

So far so good? Now, considering what i have done, have I basically castrated my full range front speakers, and will I hurt them or my sub running this way?

8. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

no, it wont hurt your sub [​IMG]
    It was designed this way.
    this way your xover point is set where your sub knows it will sound good [according to the sub designers] and your mains will go down to that low point.

Now if you had just the sub out [onkyo] to sub in [jbl]
    it would be the same thing but your mains could play as "large" and your onkyo was setting your xover point.

now were you looking for extra amplification cause you cnt get loud enough?

9. RobTauber

RobTauber Agent

Do I still use the sub out from my Onkyo?
    Will the sound actually suffer by doing it like this, or is it better.
    In other words, should I need to do this to a high end receiver?
    I was thinking about buying a seperate amp to run my fronts, but if this will work away we go.
    Just looking for the sub to do it's part.
    Plenty loud, hoping to clean it up, although it sounds pretty damn good.

10. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

if you have your main speakers going through the sub then no, you dont have to use sub out. if you hook up both [line in and high levels in] I cant think of an added incentive.

Which will sound better? Id assume having the sub do the xovering but I dont know. thats up to your ears. I know there wont be much if you can tell a difference.

"I was thinking about buying a seperate amp to run my fronts, but if this will work away we go."
    Again, the sub will not add extra amplification to your mains. it might get a tad bit louder cause the mains dont have t work to push out the low notes but again, the diffeerence should be minimal if any.

"In other words, should I need to do this to a high end receiver?" huh?

"Just looking for the sub to do it's part." dont forget its only the .1 of a 7.1 system. [​IMG]