What's new

JBL S120PII or Velodyne CHT-12? (1 Viewer)

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
For MY budget. Which of these two subs would be the better choice JBL S120PII or Velodyne CHT-12?

I will be upgrading from a Sony SA-WM40.

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
I just ordered the Velodyne CHT-12. AFTER ordering I discovered it is NOT video shielded. Would this pose a problem if the sub is placed approx. 3.5 to 4 feet from the TV?

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
I've owned the JBL S120PII and a Velodyne HGS-12II. The JBL did not impress me at all, but the Velo was outstanding. I've never heard the Velo CHT, so can't advise there.

- Bill

John S

Senior HTF Member
I blew two of those JBL subs, before going with a CHT-15, which I highly reccomend. I'm sure the CHT-12 is of fine build and quality. Velo's can be run brutally hard by the way, which is good, as I am sure that is why I fried my two JBL's, on the 2nd one covered under warranty, when it blew, I just sort of figured I was not getting enough sub for my tastes period. In the JBL's defense, on the 2nd one, I was auditioning some NASA Apollo launch stuff, that the DVD cover indicated was about as brutal as it gets for subwoofers which proved to be true, the velo CHT-15 doesn't even sweat on it, even at surper high volumes, pushed way hot.

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
I see where the Velodyne VRP-1200 is video shielded. However the specs show a frequency response of 29 - 140 Hz +/- 3db. (Velodyne CHT-12 has a response of 25-120 Hz +/-3 dB)

My cheap Sony SA-WM40 has a frequency response of 20-200 Hz, 0.8% THD.

Is the Velodyne VRP-1200 rated differently or will I loose significant low level bass with the VRP-1200?

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Walt, every company have claimed responses but unless they give you a lot more information (spl, room size, and how they measure). How it performs in the real world is a different matter.

If I claimed a Yugo could go from 0-60 in less than 5 seconds most people would state that I'm completely wrong (just like the claim "My cheap Sony SA-WM40 has a frequency response of 20-200 Hz, 0.8% THD" would be) but if I told them that it's being dropped from a balloon at high altitude then everyone would agree.

If you put the Vel by the Sony one thing that would be very obvious is that one brand is much closer in it's claim and other is making a statement when the sub is played at a very low volume level.

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks to all for participating in this thread. I would like to get a handle on my questions before this evening as I still have time to cancel/change my order.

The 29 - 140 Hz +/- 3db frequency response on the VRP-1200 doesn't seem to be that low IMO. Would this range be ok for Movies? I primarily watch TV and Movies and listen to a little bit of music.

In all honesly I have a psychological barrier on those frquency response numbers.

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
My low frequency hearing is quite good, but I stop hearing sound at about 26 Hz. OTOH, if the volume is loud enough, I can still feel frequencies below 26 Hz. I don't believe too many movies use frequencies this low though, so I'm fairly sure you will be satisfied with the frequency range of the VRP-1200.

John S

Senior HTF Member
The subs in question will blow the doors of the Sony, no matter what the stated response numbers are. That is the reality of it all.

LCSeminole

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Laurence
Just to add to what Bill said about having not heard a CHT series Velodyne. The CHT series is Velodynes entry level and its bang for the buck is very good, but it's not their HGS series. I went from a CHT-15 to a HGS-15x and the difference is, for a lack of better words, HUGE.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks