What's new

JBL S series question (1 Viewer)

al lout

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,

I'm planning to buy my gf 6.1 speakers set. I've heard the JBL S38II speakers as the main in my friend's house. Unfortunately, he has a diff brand speaker as center so I can't really justify my purchase yet. That's y I am turning here for help. I am considering of getting 3 pairs of the JBL S38II for 6.0 and a HSU sub later. As of now I just wanna get 6 speakers first. My questions/options are:

1. Get 3 pairs of JBL S38II for 6.0 and an HSU sub later to complete 6.1 system.
2. Get 2 pairs of JBL S38II and 1 JBL S-center (a sub later)
3. Get something else for around $700 without sub (suggestions?)

I checked the harmonaudio site I can get a pair of refur JBLs38II for $200. Anybody else know where I can get a better price than that? If it is you guys, which of the above option will you get? If you pick option #3 what will it be? Thanks all...

al,

Matthew-K

Stunt Coordinator
I would go with option #2. I have had the JBLs38II, and the s-center for awhile now and for the price I think they are a great speaker set-up. Plus they would be timbre matched. You might want to find something other than the s38II for your surrounds though.

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
I'd go option number one. I just got a pair from the harman site and am thinking about grabbing another pair while they are still available at that unbelievable price.

al lout

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you, guys...

Matt, isn't it 6 identical speakers make a perfect timbre match? Why wouldn't you want the S38II for surrounds? Is there something that I should know regarding that? Anyone else can chip in more inputs? I'm seriously consider option #1, unless there's something better that I should look into... Any suggestions will be appreciated... Thank you!

Al,

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Just checked the Hk site. The S38 are no longer listed! I was going to get another pr. as well. maybe they will show up again in the future.

Joseph Sabato

Stunt Coordinator
I would also go with option 1. While my S-Center matches well with the S-38's, it does not have the bass capability of the S-38s (If I could have bought a single S38, I would have)and I can sometimes hear it strain while the S-38's are just cruising ( I like my movies loud).

BTW, this is with all 5 speakers crossed over at 80Hz ( I have 2 15" subs carrying the bass) If you do not plan on buying the sub until later, you can run all 6 S38's full range ( I would not try to run an S-Center full range)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks