jbl s-series question and need a subwoofer recomendation in the $500.00 range

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd smith, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Todd smith

Todd smith Supporting Actor

My first question is about the jbl studio line. I have 4 s-38's (series 1) and I had the series 1 s-center but I ended up selling it (long story). I now need an s-center to timber match with the s-38's but I think they only sell the series 2 s-center now(is this true?). So my question is how will the series 2 s-center pair up with series 1 s-38's? What is the difference between the series 1 and 2 s-center sonically? I dont care about cosmetics. Should I still get a perfect match for my front sound stage if I choose to pair the series 2 s-center with the series 1 s-38's?

I also need recomendations for a sub that will be used for HT and music in the $500.00 range give or take a little. This sub will be paired with the jbl's and either a Denon 3803 or HK 525. Thanks for your help!

2. Bert D

Bert D Stunt Coordinator

I just ordered a HK 525 to replace my HK 310, and have S38 rears w/ S310 fronts, in my opinion, you are good to go with the new S Center II. I do not beleive they changed the II's enough to cause concern.

Look at it this way, the new II center will be the closest match, being JBl, closer than getting a other brand.

In subs; SVS 25-31 would be a great match for your JBL's, or from Adire a Dharman or Rava. A Hsu tf2 ( I beleive) is also nice. You can not go wrong with any, but I would do the SVS,

3. Hank_P

Hank_P Second Unit

The S-Center II (and all "S" II's) is basically a cosmetic change, so you are good to go with matching the timbre of the S38's. I have an S-Center II and series I S-38's in my bedroom and they sound very good. It's not my prime listening area for movies.. but they do work well together.

I am also going to put the vote in for the SVS. I have a pair of S312's up front and run a SVS 20-39PCi and they match very well. For that price, I don't think you could find anything better.

4. Ted_Wern

Ted_Wern Agent

Most likely no one will agree with me here, but in that price range, I would try out the B&W ASW 6000. I auditoines a ton of subs and this one was excellent for both music and movies. I couldn't be happier.

5. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

6. Jeff Hoak

Jeff Hoak Stunt Coordinator

Todd,

I sent you a PM...