What's new

jbl s-series question and need a subwoofer recomendation in the $500.00 range (1 Viewer)

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
My first question is about the jbl studio line. I have 4 s-38's (series 1) and I had the series 1 s-center but I ended up selling it (long story). I now need an s-center to timber match with the s-38's but I think they only sell the series 2 s-center now(is this true?). So my question is how will the series 2 s-center pair up with series 1 s-38's? What is the difference between the series 1 and 2 s-center sonically? I dont care about cosmetics. Should I still get a perfect match for my front sound stage if I choose to pair the series 2 s-center with the series 1 s-38's?

I also need recomendations for a sub that will be used for HT and music in the $500.00 range give or take a little. This sub will be paired with the jbl's and either a Denon 3803 or HK 525. Thanks for your help!

Bert D

Stunt Coordinator
I just ordered a HK 525 to replace my HK 310, and have S38 rears w/ S310 fronts, in my opinion, you are good to go with the new S Center II. I do not beleive they changed the II's enough to cause concern.

Look at it this way, the new II center will be the closest match, being JBl, closer than getting a other brand.

In subs; SVS 25-31 would be a great match for your JBL's, or from Adire a Dharman or Rava. A Hsu tf2 ( I beleive) is also nice. You can not go wrong with any, but I would do the SVS,

Hank_P

Second Unit
The S-Center II (and all "S" II's) is basically a cosmetic change, so you are good to go with matching the timbre of the S38's. I have an S-Center II and series I S-38's in my bedroom and they sound very good. It's not my prime listening area for movies.. but they do work well together.

I am also going to put the vote in for the SVS. I have a pair of S312's up front and run a SVS 20-39PCi and they match very well. For that price, I don't think you could find anything better.

Ted_Wern

Agent
Most likely no one will agree with me here, but in that price range, I would try out the B&W ASW 6000. I auditoines a ton of subs and this one was excellent for both music and movies. I couldn't be happier.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks