JBL S series being scaled down?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Dave Abel, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Dave Abel

Dave Abel Auditioning

I recently read some threads on the new JBL Northridge E series and now see some of those models in stock at several dealers. Since I already have S38II's, an S CenterII, S120PII and S36II's I was curious to see if any updates were being done to the S series. After checking JBL's site though I see the S38II's and S120PII are now conspicuously missing from the S series section (leaving only the S36II's and their outdoor variants listed).

Thus does anyone know what's going on with the S series? Is JBL phasing them out in favor of the Northridge E series? If so, then it would look like we're going to be paying somewhat more for somewhat less. I'm not knocking the E series mind you, but it seems like line consolidation is eliminating some attractive component options at a very good price point.

Thoughts anyone?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    All indications are that the S-series is discontinued.

3. dale^g

dale^g Stunt Coordinator

buy them while you can!

4. BrianMB

BrianMB Agent

I don't think the Studio series is gone, just renamed. The E50 is the S38II with a cosmetic makeover, for the better as far as I'm concerned, I think the silver on my S38II is a bit gaudy. Also, the E35 center speaker has the same specs as the Studio center.

Don't panic! [​IMG]

5. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

They are similar but the E series has the 3/4" titanium laminate tweeter (like the N series), while the S series has the 1" titanium tweeter. Other than that they seem identical.

So far prices for the E series seem quite a bit higher than what was being asked for the S series. J&R was selling S38's for $250 - now they have the E50's listed at $459! I like my S38's but I don't think I would have paid $460 for them.

Mark

6. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

JBL is phasing out the JBL Studio-Series and will release a newer Studio-(more expensive) Series. The newer S-Series will continue to sport JBL highly acclaimed 1" Pure Titanium Dome w/EOS waveguide (copied directly from their TEC Award LSR Pro Studio Monitors)

I emailed JBL Customer Support and here's a copy of that email I received on 3 Oct 2003 ...

7. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

I listened to and liked the dual-6.5" three-way Northridge E-Series when I was at Best Buy the other day. The things are equipped with midranges that looked like older Studio Series midranges and a pair of very formidable-looking 6.5" woofers, and they put out a fair bit of bass, though not quite as deep as when paired with the subwoofer, which is no slouch either.

8. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I recently checked out the E-Series at best buy. While the cabinets looked great, especially in the different color finishes, they seemed to be very poorly built. A simple knock on the cabinet would cause an audible resonance and a you could even feel the side of the cabinet vibrating as if there was no internal bracing. I've felt cabinets w/ stiffer build made of 1/2" MDF. I can't comment on how this would affect the sound quality, but the build was nowhere near that of the N28s i once owned, and 100 times worse than my current Swan's Diva setup (although that's not a fair comparison).

9. dale^g

dale^g Stunt Coordinator

10. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

The models i checked out were hooked up and working, so this wasn't the case. The drivers all appeared to be the same as from the N series, so I would assume performance would be similar. Once these have been on the market awhile and begin going on sale (online, not BB, even their sales are overpriced) they should be some good bang-for-buck speakers (As were the N series).

11. Dave Abel

Dave Abel Auditioning

Thanks for the info all and Phil for posting JBL's response. If the E series price point comes down near where N's are now then they'll be a nice replacement for the N's but as Mark said they're too costly currently considering what you can pick up S's for. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the new S series is when it comes out next year. Like Dale said, get 'em while you can... I just did.

Thanks again.

12. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    J and R has the S26IIs for 150.00 plus free shipping.

13. Justin H

Justin H Stunt Coordinator

Another year for revised S-series? Shucks...

I'm hungry for dipole/bipole from JBL that sports the 1" tweeter. When will JBL provide an appropriate surround speaker for us faithful customers. I'm really eager to get some dipoles on the wall, but I'm not about to throw down the $$$ for another Northridge speaker when the Studios will be out in a year.

...woe is me...I need surround dispersion!

btw - thanks Phil [​IMG] selfless as usual.