What's new

JBL S series. Are they worth the money? (1 Viewer)

Alex_Santos

Second Unit
I can't seem to decide between spending 300 on the nsp1 set or spending 600 or more on an s-series set. I think that in my current apartament, floor standing speakers might be a better option for me. Anyone know where the best price for JBL's is to be found. Thanks.

Anyone elses opinion would be certaintly welcome as well.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
Ask yourself this.... Do I want full bodied sound that works best with both music and home theater keeping in mind that a sub/satellite system is more geared toward HT? If your answer is yes, then pull out those ben franklins and shoot for the S-Series. In addition to jandr.com bestpriceaudiovideo.com has good prices on JBL.

HankB

Stunt Coordinator
I ended up buying four brand new S26's for use as the surround sound in my home theater. Got them for $250 brand new. Can't think of any other speaker that would provide the sound they do for that price point. I temporary replaced my mains (Paradigm 80's) with a pair of these to do a A/B test. While the Paradigms were clearly better for music repreduction, the JBL's were okay for movies. And this was beside the paradigms. I am VERY happy with these as surrounds.

Now that JBL has come out with version 2's over all their studio stuff, brand new version 1's can be had for cheap (and they look better, at least to my eye).

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
I have a 312 for a center channel(bass is weak, but that may just be the center channel design in the 3802). I have two 38's for the rear surrounds. They all are quality speakers in every way. I have two Sansui's for the surrounds(but you can't buy these in the states, but outstanding speakers),

and two fronts are cerwin vegas 715's=outstanding clean deep bass. These are the best speakers for bass that I have heard for less then $1000.

If you are getting a sub, which I did later, you can forget the deep bass and just get 2 to 4 312's and fill in the rest with the 38's and a sub. JBL and the CV 715 are great speakers, the rest of CV's floor speakers are not that great.

The Warfdales at ubid have lured me from time to time. I just have no idea what they sound like. Infinity and AR make good speakers in their high end models. But for the buck get JBL at JR or 6thave. I bought mine at JR with free shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks