JBL S-Center II for suround

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Sanjivnpatel, May 20, 2003.

1. Sanjivnpatel

Sanjivnpatel Agent

Hi;

I am planning to setup 7.1 surround system. My HT size is about 17 X 13. For 5 speakers ( 1 cener, 2 surround, 2 rear) I am planning to get JBL S-Center II. Each one is going for about $125 so i thought it would not be too expensive to get five of these rather than four other surround and rear. I have tried this as a center speaker and it si incredible. My receiver has 7 seperate amplifiers so can easily fire these babies. What do you think about this setup? Do you think this is over kill or would this be better compared to other surround speakers?

Thanks.

2. Myo K

Myo K Stunt Coordinator

id think itd look odd having a bunch of center channel speakers around you.

but what ever floats your boat.

3. Jaimin

Jaimin Stunt Coordinator

I would probably sound better it you had jbl s26's (cheaper than the s center) all around, or jbl s38's (a little more expensive than the s center) all around. The s center was designed to save space for the center channel. The other two I mentioned would probably be more dynamic and would be better sounding in my opinion.

4. Sanjivnpatel

Sanjivnpatel Agent

Jaimin;

I think it is an interesting idea to have four S38s. Can you explain that in detail why it is better than S Center II? I guess Myo is right it would not look very pretty to have Five center speakers in the room. price wise both SCenter II and S38s are same. If anyione can help me to make that decision would be great. I'll be buying on-line without listening.

Thanks.

5. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

6. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

7. Sanjivnpatel

Sanjivnpatel Agent

Hey;

I have aordered SVS sub and Denon 1802. I am still not sure about surround spekers. Should I go with four JBL S Center II or get four S38II? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Sanjiv

8. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Sanjiv:

Between the options you present, I'd take four S38II's.

9. Jaimin

Jaimin Stunt Coordinator

I really think the s38 is just a better speaker than the s center. I will play louder, have more bass, and have clearer mids in my opinion. The s-center was designed with space in mind, meaning that it is meant to sit on top of a television. But the s38's were not designed with that constraint. You should just go listen to them at a best buy or some place you can and I think you will understand what I mean.

Jaimin