jbl s 38 vs. inf IL10 NEED OPINIONS for those that have heard both, what preferenc

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd smith, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Todd smith

Todd smith Supporting Actor

I know this is subjective and I should get a pair of each and test for myself but I want to know your opinions for those that have heard both under similar variables (similar receiver, etc..) The problem is I went and heard the IL10 at Soundtrack today and was suprised at how well they sounded. I then went to try to hear the s38 at best buy but they were not hooked up and I was short on time and had to go before help arived. I just dont know if the jbl's will get a fair audition in the noisy best buy audio rooms compared to the dead silent soundtrack room. How can I make a fair assessment when variables are not the same? Tomorow I will go to a different best buy and hopefully try them, but until then which has the overall better sound in your opinion for those that have heard both in a fair matchup? These will be used in a full 5.1 setup for 1/2 music listening and 1/2 dvd and movies. And obviously I want to match them so I will get all one brand or the other. Whichever set I get I will pair with a svs sub.

2. Jason Caudill

Jason Caudill Stunt Coordinator

I think that both are very nice sounding speakers, in fact I looked at them when I was making my last speaker purchase (more about that later).

I tend to not care for 3 way speakers as much and so I like the IL-10's. I have heard the IL series in a friends setup and with music (cd & dvd-a) it sounded amazing as do movies.

That said if you were only going to use it for movies or not incorporate the sub I would lean toward the S-38's.

Now I really hate it when people do this but I am going to anyway. Have you considered Paradigms or any other speakers? At list price I think that those two speakers go for about the same as the Monitor 5's (which I ended up with).

That said you are about to recieve about 20 posts that all say just listen to them and get what you think sounds best, which I agree with, but I know it is hard to get a subjective test considering how retailers have their speakers setup and how short audio memory is.

Happy hunting! Jason

3. Stephen Houdek

Stephen Houdek Second Unit

S
    I have JBL's, not s38's, but have listened to them. You wouldn't be unhappy if you choose the s38. I've seen more written about it than the Infinty. I personally liked the sound better than the Infinity.

JBL's power most theatre's if that means anything to you. Both companies have a long speaker building heritage. I'm pretty sure JBL's is longer though.

I have S312's in the front an Scenter and s36's for surrounds. Couldn't be happier for music or HT.

Phil will be here shortly to give you his usual informative stuff.....You can search this forum for S38 or JBL and get a TON of informatiion Phil has posted in the past.

You're on Phil!

4. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

hah, btw, I took phil's advice and auditioned the S38s and fell in love with them.

I purchased them for stereo use only. I primarily watch dvds, and listen to CDs. I purchased a used rotel amplifier for $150 and will be hooking these up to my computer to play mp3s.

The speakers not only motivated me to buy a new sound card, but I also built two 24" bookshelf speaker stands that perfectly match the black S38 in size and color. The stand is painted flat black, made of mohogany, 3/4" mdf, and stainless steel shelf pins.

I'll just say that they fully meet my expectations and I am completely satisifed with the buy ($245 ebay). You'll probably find more reviews and quotes if you search.

Oh, these small bookshelfs pack punch. I was suprised to see the room rattle when they cranked out some clean 45-50hz bass.

5. Stephen Houdek

S
    Where is Phil? He's usually quite prompt......

6. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

8. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

John - email on the way...!

Phil

9. Stephen Houdek

S
    Phil is going to convert you John. I can feel it. I'm going to be joining you folks in Sunny Socal (San Jose) all next week. Can't wait to get away from the damp cold Michigan weather.

10. AVspec

AVspec Supporting Actor

Mark
    Yep... what Phil said! [​IMG]
    I have the S36's all the way around (I happen to really like 3-way speakers) and I could not be happier! I have a full review on my web site.
    As always... it is always best to audition speakers in your HT room... but it can be a hassle sometimes and when it is then just go with JBL! [​IMG]

11. Todd smith

Todd smith Supporting Actor

Phil

Thanks for the info! q1 Is consumer direct warehouse a Authorized jbl dealer? q2 You mentioned the advantages of the jbl over the IL10, what are the disadvantages? In your opinion, do you feel the s38's mids and highs can equal the IL10? That is where the IL10 sounded awesome in my opinion. They just sounded so clean and balanced. I listened to the s38 at best buy today, but could not get a good audition because of the 8000 other sounds going on all around me which may be the reason they did not sound nearly as good as the IL10 did in a closed off soundroom (soundtrack). I am sure If I could get them on neutral ground it would be a good match, but I dont have a way to do that. I know you are very much in favor of the jbl's (do you work for them?) but have you heard the IL10's as well so you can give me a actual sound comparison and not just numbers? I went into listening to both of these leaning heavily on the jbl's but came out more impresed with the infinitys (but as I said it was an unfair match which is why I am here questioning it). I dont have a receiver yet so I cant test them myself. I am doing this all at once.

12. Stephen Houdek

S
    You probably know this stuff already.......But in case you don't........

Paradigm S20 = Two way speaker

JBL S38 = Three way speaker

Infinity IL10 = Two way speaker

(There are trade offs for two way setups)

Paradigm S20 Freq. Response ±2dB from 54Hz - 20kHz

JBL S38 Freq. Response (–3dB): 45Hz – 20kHz

Infinity IL10 Freq. Response (±3dB): 56Hz - 22kHz

Paradigm S20 Tweeter: 1" (25mm) PAL™ pure-aluminum dome

JBL S38 Tweeter: 1" Pure-titanium dome with EOS™ waveguide

Infinity IL10 Tweeter: 1" (25mm) C.M.M.D.

Paradigm S20 Sensitivity: 86dB

JBL S38 Sensitivity: 89dB

Infinity IL10 Sensitivity: 88dB

Paradigm S20 Driver: 165mm (6.5").(The arrogant bastards don't even convert the metrics for the US customers)

JBL S38 Driver: 8"

Infinity IL10 Driver: 6-1/2" (165mm) C.M.M.D.

Paradigm Crossover: 1.5kHz

JBL Crossovers: 800Hz, 3200Hz

Infinity IL10 Crossover: 2800Hz

13. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

why would you want to convert out of SI units?

14. AVspec

AVspec Supporting Actor

Mark
    Todd, I can answer Q1: Yes Consumer Direct are and that is were I got my S36's and S-Center for the best price I could find anywere. They were great to deal with and I would buy from them again in a heart beat.

15. Stephen Houdek

S
    Because the world standard is inches. I say world standard becuase we're the largest consumer market in the world and they should use OUR units of measure.

16. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I listened to the S26's tonight (Thanks Phil!) and I would still have to say I prefer the tweeters on the IL10, but the midrange on the S26 is probably about as clean as I've ever heard. I didn't get all the model numbers of Phil's gear, but it was a Yamaha reciever. I would call it a toss up, and I would listen to both a few times with music. Get whichever you can get the best price on, you won't be disappointed with either.

I have not heard the S38, but the S26 seemed to be more than enough for either music or movie watching.

Now that I've heard them, I can officially say, they do NOT compete with the Paradigm Studio 20. No question about that. That is not to say that it is a bad speaker at all, becuase I was very pleased with them. I would still not put it in the same category as the Studio line, period. In it's price category, it is a solid performer.

17. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Hey Todd S.

I have to partly agree with Stephen that most theaters do exclusivly use JBL and so do most concert venues and alot of recording studios as well. JBL's claim to faim is there pro speakers and in my opinion have not built great home speakers like they use to. Do not get me wrong I love JBL and the big natural sound of the large JBL drivers and horn configurations. You may want to keep your options open and consider Infinity, Paradigm, NHT's and Klipsch. I had some JBL book shelf speakers that I was very disapointed with and untimatly returned to the store for an exchange. Ultimately you should buy what sounds good to you as long as it is not Bose, lol. If the model of JBL's sound great to you then they are great speakers and you should buy them. Let us know what you end up with. : - )

18. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

>>Because the world standard is inches. I say world standard becuase we're the largest consumer market in the world and they should use OUR units of measure.

19. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

20. Stephen Houdek

S
    Darn Canadians....[​IMG] Go Wings!